Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Poor Drywall Installation - Need Advice Please

I paid a drywall installer to hang and mud drywall in large den.
Paneling was up before (which I removed). I needed it done in a hurry
before I had my hardwoods refinished. After some searching, I was able
to find a company that was able to do the work.

They finished, I paid, and I felt good about getting it done in my
timeframe. HOWEVER - - after a closer inspection under the right
light, the rush job was not such a good idea on my part. I discovered
the following.

- humps on many of the seams
- valleys on some of the seams
- some wavy areas

My questions:

1. Can this be repaired 2-3 weeks after the work was done?

2. Should I accept the fact that I needed a rush job, and got an
expected result?

3. Should I attempt to repair this myself, or bring the contractor back
out?

4. Am I able to bring him back out even though I already paid?

5. How do you fix the humps on the seams? Sand 'em out, or re-mud
first?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I paid a drywall installer to hang and mud drywall in large den.
Paneling was up before (which I removed). I needed it done in a hurry
before I had my hardwoods refinished. After some searching, I was able
to find a company that was able to do the work.

They finished, I paid, and I felt good about getting it done in my
timeframe. HOWEVER - - after a closer inspection under the right
light, the rush job was not such a good idea on my part. I discovered
the following.

- humps on many of the seams
- valleys on some of the seams
- some wavy areas

My questions:

1. Can this be repaired 2-3 weeks after the work was done?

YES, you can repair drywall easily at a later date.

2. Should I accept the fact that I needed a rush job, and got an
expected result?

No, they should have done a good job first time.

3. Should I attempt to repair this myself, or bring the contractor back
out?

Depends. You'll need to practice first and get the hang of drywalling.
It's not hard but the key is a small layer at a time, let it dry,
sand, and then another layer until it's right.

4. Am I able to bring him back out even though I already paid?

If he is dependable you might try that. Point out the flaws you found
and hear what he has to say.

5. How do you fix the humps on the seams? Sand 'em out, or re-mud
first?

Sand, re-mud, dry, then repeat as needed. It's not hard at all and any
mistakes you make can be sanded out. But first get some instruction and
practice on a scrap piece of drywall.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Many people these days spray texture the drywall. This is done by
spraying mixed drywall compound and then just before it's completely dry
run a platic wide blade down the wall to knock it down. This not only
looks good and paints well, but it hides any drywall defects such as
seams and taping assuming they are very minor. Next time you're at
someones house or a business look at their drywall for this texture
finish. It's looks expensive but very easily done with practice.

Thanks,