Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting a motor out of storage?

I put a generator in storage (5hp Kawasaki) by putting oil in the cylinder
per the instructions.

When I want to use it again what do I have to do? The instructions don't go
into that.
Do I have to get the oil out of the cylinder, or will it just be pushed out
when I try to start it?
Will the spark plug be okay, or do I have to replace it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

I put a generator in storage (5hp Kawasaki) by putting oil in the cylinder
per the instructions.

When I want to use it again what do I have to do? The instructions don't

go
into that.
Do I have to get the oil out of the cylinder, or will it just be pushed

out
when I try to start it?
Will the spark plug be okay, or do I have to replace it?

We assume Kawasaki instructions were to
put a couple of spoonfuls of oil into the
cylinder. If the spark plug is clean and
bright (and correctly gapped) this unit ought
to start without trouble.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Toller wrote:
I put a generator in storage (5hp Kawasaki) by putting oil in the cylinder
per the instructions.

When I want to use it again what do I have to do? The instructions don't go
into that.
Do I have to get the oil out of the cylinder, or will it just be pushed out
when I try to start it?
Will the spark plug be okay, or do I have to replace it?

Most people just remove the spark plug and rotate the engine a few
times to get the oil out of the way, then reinstall plug and start
normally. A small amount of blue smoke is normal from the last of the
oil burning off but won't persist more than a minute or so. If you
leave the plug in and start it, it may sputter briefly until the oil
burns off, which is OK too. I prefer not to take a chance on fouling
the plug because the next use may be an emergency and you'd want to
take off running. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote in message

I put a generator in storage (5hp Kawasaki) by putting oil in the
cylinder
per the instructions.

When I want to use it again what do I have to do? The instructions don't

go
into that.
Do I have to get the oil out of the cylinder, or will it just be pushed

out
when I try to start it?
Will the spark plug be okay, or do I have to replace it?

We assume Kawasaki instructions were to
put a couple of spoonfuls of oil into the
cylinder. If the spark plug is clean and
bright (and correctly gapped) this unit ought
to start without trouble.

That is correct, almost. I put in way too much (got confused about how cc
related to ml) and a spray came shooting out when I rotated the engine with
the plug out. Hopefully that is just a mess rather than a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:

That is correct, almost. I put in way too much (got confused about
how cc related to ml) and a spray came shooting out when I rotated
the engine with the plug out. Hopefully that is just a mess rather
than a problem.

A "cc" (cubic centimeter) IS a "ml" (milliliter).

Remember the adage: "A pint's a pound the world around."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:47:20 -0500, "Heybub"
wrote:

Toller wrote:

That is correct, almost. I put in way too much (got confused about
how cc related to ml) and a spray came shooting out when I rotated
the engine with the plug out. Hopefully that is just a mess rather
than a problem.

A "cc" (cubic centimeter) IS a "ml" (milliliter).

Remember the adage: "A pint's a pound the world around."

Which is easy to remember, but not actually true.