Default best workshop storage

I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks

Grant Erwin

I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

You can't really design your shop around storage, you sort of have to design
your storage around your shop. Here are some of the things I do:

2 rollaways for most hand tools except hammers, chisels, punch pins, also I
keep a lot of end mills and carbide inserts in there too, also some fasteners

closet with shelves with boxes on shelves for unfinished projects

workbench drawers

4 sets of steel drawers some 3" wide some 6" wide for a whole bunch of stuff

hand-forged hooks up on one wall for welding lead, torch lead, air hose

more hooks on a different wall for extension cords

2 rolling carts one with mill tooling and miscellaneous clamps other with
lathe and grinder tooling

an A-frame style rack made from old bed frame iron to hold stock inside, I
separate stock into 4 categories
angle
solid (flat, rectangular)
round
pipe/tube

a bigger rolling rack outside for steel storage which I keep tarped

a wooden bookshelf between my 2 lathes for lathe tooling, bottom shelf
is for welding rod/gloves/hood/slag hammers

2 more small wooden bookshelves for miscellany (mostly mill fixtures)

a larger wooden bookshelf for materials like stockpiled electrical parts,
3M pad boxes, rolls of electrical wire, stuff like that

I keep all my work gloves in one drawer. I keep all my safety glasses in
one drawer. I keep all my steel tapes in one drawer. I keep most of my
Allen wrenches in one drawer. I have my sockets organized with one of those
Kennedy socket organizer trays, which works OK. I have a place for every
wrench. I use different drawers in my rollaway one for straight screwdrivers
one for Phillips and bit boxes, one for anything that looks like pliers.

I have a hook for my leather apron. I also have a crawl space in which I
store large electrical cord or rarely-used big stuff like that.

There is an adjacent machinery room (furnace, hot water heater) in which I
have a table where I keep my optical comparator under a protective cover.

Organized? Hardly. But it's better than it was.

GWE
Too_Many_Tools

I hope we get ALOT of responses here...I am always looking for a better
way to use my largest tool...my shop.

One trap I fell for early and posters have mentioned it in other
discussions, limit the number of workbenches you have. They usually end
up being used for dumping clutter on and serving as a big inefficent
shelf.

One thing you need to ask yourself is do you like and need storage that
is enclosed. The difference between a shelf and a cabinet is a door.
For me, if I need to protect my stuff from dust/chips versus being able
to see and quickly access it determines whether the storage has a door
on it or not. Keep in mind that some processes are dirtier than
others....grindings and sawdust comes to mind immediately where I would
use cabinets instead of shelves.

I would also really take the time to determine what you have that you
use frequently. The BFH that you reach for every day should be within
arm's reach. That special jig that you use once every couple years can
rest somewhere in the depths of your shop.

I also find that grouping tools and materials that are used together is
very effiicent.

I am also a believer that your shop should have very little open space
along the walls and under/over machines. Every cubic inch of your shop
is costing you dollars and cents and it should be utilized. I consider
every machine should have its own storage (and for that matter it
should be easily moved if needed) so all accessories it uses are stored
in or around the machine. Most smaller/midsized machines can be mounted
on casters which makes moving them easy and allows further storage
under them. Small tool/part storage demand small shallow drawers where
the tool chests/Lista cabinets/flat files are perfect for. Don't forget
that weight requirements rise quickly so be sure to get study
storage...you will be glad you did. Just yesterday I saw an overloaded
pegboard display collapse on a customer because the store staff had not
factored this detail into their thinking.

One thing that many shops fail in is the management of clutter storage.
The approach I have seen work is to empty your shop totally and then
place only the machines back in. Once that is done, what you have
remaining (and for most of us that is a heck of alot of stuff yet) is
the potential clutter. Here is where having support from like minded
friends is important. Each and every item should be evaluated as to its
"do I really need it or want it" factor before you place it back into
your shop. Havng the support of friends with the access to your
favorite beverage can ease the pain of parting with that item that you
have been lugging from shop to shop for decades. In many cases, one of
your friends will volunteer to adopt it and you can have visiting
rights. If you are successful with this approach, it can become an
annual event at your shop and of those of your friends.

TMT

Nick Hull

In article .com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

One trap I fell for early and posters have mentioned it in other
discussions, limit the number of workbenches you have. They usually end
up being used for dumping clutter on and serving as a big inefficent
shelf.

True, workbenches attract as lot of clutter. OTOH, many times you take
something apart and cannot put it back together without ordering a
special part, so the arrayed parts stay there awaiting completion.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Rex B

George wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

One thing I like about Grant's suggestion is the amount of stuff he
puts on roll away carts.

One thing that is always in short supply in any shop is space. I keep
just about everything on wheels so that I can move it out of the way
to work.

I just came back from Costco where I bought yet another 6 shelved
Baker's rack. They cost $77.00 and they are rated for 600#.

They are easy to move. You can see what's on them. They are about 6'
high so they utilize a lot of vertical space.

George.

George
What do you use in the racks for storage - baking sheets/trays?

I also have a bakers rack, but haven't come up with anything to slide
into it.
Rex B

I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks

My shop is 24x40. The back 10' is enclosed as a storage & office.
Desk, steel shelving for parts storage.

Over this is a loft for bulk storage - tires, wood etc. The compressor
will go up there as soon as I figure out how to lift it. I won't store
it outside for security reasons.

This leaves a 24x30 work area

I do two kinds of work, mostly: Car repair/modifications/race prep, and
machine tools restorations and general machining. The right side of
the shop is for the former, the left side the latter.

Mounting everything on casters as possible. So far the only exception is
the tire machine. And the wood stove.

Tools go into those $88 roll around task center toolboxes. The car tools
are different from the machining tools, but there are some duplications

3 or my workbenches are old retail steel counters, with shelves. The
rest are just worktops with open area underneath.

Welders, compressor etc roll under the open workbenches.

I have a lot of pegboard, but most of it is coming down. They just
collect clutter.

I like those cheap "laundry room" wood cabinets for wall storage.
The tops become shelves. The underside is a mount for work lighting

Heavy wooden boxes approx 2'x2' on casters under workbenches for bulk
metal storage.
Grant Erwin

Oh yeah. Also, I collect box end wrenches at yard sales and when I need
one for a tool I cut off the other end and dedicate the wrench for that tool.
For example, on my 9" SB lathe, the big nut on top of my AXA toolpost is 7/8"
and I have an old 7/8" box wrench which used to have two ends. Now the other
end is cut off and that wrench lives right at that lathe.

One thing you should be aware of is when you do design storage inside a
machinery stand, if you use drawers or shelves make sure they are big enough.
I built a Ralph Walker lathe stand with 9 drawers but none of them will hold
the larger chucks I own for my little lathe, sigh. Wish they were deeper.

On electric cord storage, I've learned to hang hooks high and coil cords in
BIG loops, like six feet down and back. Many fewer coils that way, easier to
handle, lays flatter against the wall, less time coiling. You can double up
two cords on one hook by coiling one six feet and the other 3 feet -- even
if the cords look identical it's easy to tell which is which and take off
just the one. Also, I have learned to not buy 100' cords -- 4 25' cords are
more useful. Same with air hose. Sure, sometimes I need to work way away from
my shop way down the driveway, that's when I use them all. But most of the
time I'm right in close, and less cord means less hassle, less clutter, less
coiling, less stuff to trip over.

Also, stuff can be portable without being on casters if your floor is smooth
concrete. I have a bunch of blacksmithing stuff that I move a lot and none of
it is on casters. It's heavy enough to stay put but light enough so one guy
can skid it around. Post vise, anvil stand, swage block stand, welding vise,
welding table, forge stand, stuff like that. Casters add cost and complexity
and fabrication time and they need maintenance and if they get overloaded then
they bend and jam. Skidding always works. I do have lots of stuff on casters
too, of course.

One thing it's important to make storage for is your pushbroom, your foxtail
and your dustpan. Oh yeah, and your garbage can. Think about flow of material
in, through, and out of your shop. One of your outputs is garbage. I used to
skip sweeping when I misplaced one of these items, and then I tracked chips
into the house. Now I'm divorced, and have a new partner and new house. And
I learned to have a place for my broom & dustpan & wastebasket and keep that
stuff there!

GWE
Koz

I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks

I bought the entire display shelving contents from a radio shack in a
mall they were tearing down for $ 20 bucks. It added up to about 100
feet of slot wall panels on very heavy free standing chromed brackets
(had to leave another 100 feet behind because there was so much).
So..at home and in the shop I have about 50 feet each of 8' slot wall
with a shelf at the foot and a large shelf at the 8' level. Works great
to hang all the hand tools and such.

The slot wall panels are 24" wide with heavy posts between each set.
Posts are punched for shelf brackets. For items that need to sit on a
shelf, I have shelving either 24" wide or 48" wide wherever I choose.

The only thing that gives me trouble is items like pliers. Most of the
slot wall hooks are simple pins to hang things from. Pliers and such
need some sort of better "hanger" which us usually a hole or slot in a
board. Anyone have any ideas or good method of hanging this kind of
thing? Where it doesn't interfere with the tool, I've attached a large
washer to the end of some handles to just hang them from the standard
pegs. however, I don't like having pliers and nippers in the rolling
tool chest so want to find a better solution.

Koz

Leo Lichtman

I have really limited space, so I have an idea that works for me--I have
never seen anyone else do it. Stow things in 5-gallon buckets, and support
them from the garage (shop) rafters by rope and pulley. There are trays
made that nest nicely inside the buckets. There are also pocket aprons that
fit the buckets, for holding wrenches, punches, and various other stuff. If
you want, you can label the buckets on the bottom with a felt pen.

I even have my scroll saw hanging up there. When I need it, (seldom), I
lower it on top of the wash machine.

Too_Many_Tools

Grant is right about the skidding versus caster issue....one of my
"to-do-its" is to design an adjustable caster/foot to attach to machine
stands that need to have firm mounting to the floor. Items like
benders, anvils and vises are good examples that need to be firmly
attached to the floor.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Another issue you may want to consider is one of security....tools are
prime magnets for thieves and "borrowiing" neighbors...I'll let you
decide who is worse. Also if you have children, there are some, no
make that many tools that need to be regulated.

Depending on how many prying eyes and sticky fingers wander through
your shop, it can be a very good thing to have many of your more
valuable, harder to replace, smaller items behind closed doors. It is
much harder to borrow or steal tools if the party in question doesn't
know they exist. I deliberately have cheap "loaner" tools that are
visible to the public that are cannon fodder for my ham handed
neighbors and jail bait for any thief that might make a midnight visit.
The good stuff is stored in ratty looking storage cabinets while the
Chinese wonder tools are stored in the nice bright red tool chests.
Over the years, this approach has saved me considerable fustration with
certain neighbors and several breakins.

As a child, I lived in my father's shop. I look back on this and
realize how many close calls I had messing around with the
machines...none of which my father ever knew about. Safety training and
regulation of which tools to use is of course the answer to this issue
but your choice of storage will determine what access your children
will have to the tools.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Something else I should mention....the choice of storage will affect
how many problems you have with rust.

Enclosed storage slows and tempers the temperature and humidity changes
that the contents are exposed to. In my experience, there are days
where I will not open the shop doors because of the cold equipment
within and the warm/humid air outside. The only equipment I have ever
had rust problems with are those who are exposed to the open air, never
the stuff inside the closed cabinet. While having chucks, jigs, rotary
tables and index heads stored on open shelves is very convenient, it
also exposes them to any moisture ladened air that might enter on these
rust inducing days.

TMT

Wild Bill

One of the best ready-built storage system components I found at a garage
sale, is a square hospital emergency room type cart, about 4-1/2 ft tall.
It's built for ready access to numerous drawers, from either side.

It's not a substitute for a roll away tool cabinet, but it holds more
hardware/parts and miscellaneous stuff than I ever imagined.

There are 12 medium sized drawers, and another 12 facing the other
direction. The large, deeper full width drawers can be pulled out either
side, one near the top, the other below the 24 smaller drawers. There's a
third full width, shallower drawer at the top that only pulls out from the
third side.
All the drawers lock in place by stepping on a rod at the bottom, so the
drawers could be locked when it had hospital supplies in it.

This sturdy cart holds a lot of crap for it's size, plus the additional
stuff on top. There are synthetic tires on ball bearing wheels, about 5"
diameter.. big enough to roll over rough spots easily, or an air hose if
needed.
The frame is welded steel, and the only not-so-good feature is that the 24
smaller drawers are plastic. When I get around to building or finding a
former/deflattener, I'll most likely bend up some metal drawers for it.

A home shop buddy once told me he would build the best shop design.. a round
shop, because it doesn't have any corners to start piling stuff into.

WB

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks

Grant Erwin

The only thing that gives me trouble is items like pliers. Most of the
slot wall hooks are simple pins to hang things from. Pliers and such
need some sort of better "hanger" which us usually a hole or slot in a
board. Anyone have any ideas or good method of hanging this kind of
thing? Where it doesn't interfere with the tool, I've attached a large
washer to the end of some handles to just hang them from the standard
pegs. however, I don't like having pliers and nippers in the rolling
tool chest so want to find a better solution.

Old Popular Mechanics are good sources for ways to use pegboard creatively.

GWE
carl mciver

I got a few million little boxes from work that are about three by five
by ten inches or so and with a white label I have these all over the place.
Some hold car parts, some hold electronics stuff, and some hold stuff and
tools I use at my workbench. I can actually find stuff now! If it isn't in
a box, that's still a challenge, though!
I keep most of my chemicals in an old standup freezer. Enclosed,
insulated, and a bit safer than out on shelves.
I've been planning but not had a chance to redo my small tool storage
thinking completely. My tool chest is overflowing and the top is a
collector of crap. My idea is to make a wood frame about three feet wide,
two feet deep, and six feet high. Inside the frame I attach six or so
vertical panels suspended from drawer slides top and bottom. The slides
attach to blocks that nest into the frame top and bottom, allowing the
assembly to be moved sideways to accommodate different spacing between
panels. The panels pull out completely on the 24" drawer slides, creating
lots and lots of "wall" space. No pegboards; they always suck and to do it
right you have to spend an arm and a leg on decent clips. With pegs, nails,
blocks, and other available hardware, all my tools can be mounted on both
sides of the panels. The drawer slides are each rated for about 200 pounds
or so, making the load manageable. I can gets gobs and gobs of tools in
there, and the footprint is a mere six square feet. Working similar issues
at work, and my rule is to avoid all horizontal surfaces at all costs. All
I need to do to prove my point is point to one! Everything has a place, and
if there is no place to put something (usually new items) then you HAVE to
make a spot for it because no other place will accept it. And you instantly
know if the kids/wife/neighbor has appropriated one of your tools if you
shadow the tools out with paint or a marker of some kind. My smaller
hammers are shadowed on a bit of space and for some reason I always put them
back. Makes no sense to me at all!
My usable attic space is over the garage and quite full of household
stuff, so I'm kinda leery about hanging stuff from the ceiling. I can see
some sag already, and don't know how much is normal or how much is unsafe.
I really ought to sort and dispose of the stuff I haven't touched in ten or
more years! Freecycle and Craigslist helps get rid of a lot of unnecessary
stuff.

wrote in message
oups.com...
| I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
| method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
| work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
| lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
| under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
| bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
| been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
| "why not ask what others like best in their shops..."
|
| Thanks

Anthony

wrote in news:1105464831.970828.146070
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks

`Some ideas here, from a seasoned veteran..hehe...

Global Industrial and the like are your friend. (Or surplus/plant
auction/etc).
Think about things such as these for storage. Remember that 80% of what
you keep could be classified as *little* or *small*

One of these and a roll of sticky labels is great for bolts, screws,
nuts, washers, electrical connectors, batteries, etc, and only occupies
2-1/2 ft of floor space.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...oductInfo.web?
infoParam.mode=1&index=3&options.parentCategoryKey =124&infoParam.itemKey=
30024898

Something in the line of this:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...egoryInfo.web?
options.parentCategoryKey=124&index=3&catSearchPar ams.categoryKey=1589
&REQ_SUB_CAT=Pick+Rack+with+Bins
Or:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...egoryInfo.web?
options.parentCategoryKey=124&index=3&catSearchPar ams.categoryKey=1579
&REQ_SUB_CAT=Cabinets+with+Bins
are absolutely great for all kinds of hand tools (air tools, welding
tools, etc) and for supplies (welding rods, welding wire, dykum, tapping
fluid, etc)

You can buy just the backplate and the bins also, and mount them to the
wall.

Use the wall space you have available to the maximum extent. Put pegboard
everywhere you can.
Mount your bench grinder, buffer, and other small tools on angle brackets
from the wall. This allows you floor space under the equipment, wall
space over it and keeps it off your workbench.

A double swing-arm and angle tray mounted to the mill can hold your
collets/tool holders and clamping sets. Swings out of the way when
needed, is at your fingertips when you are working. Same goes for the
lathe, double swing-arm and tray with collets, chuck wrench, wrenches for
the compound, extra toolholders, etc can be put on the swing-arm tray.
These items free up cabinet space, and put what you need, where you need
it, when you need it. (And you can make the swing arms and trays as a
project.)

Back-to-back or quad-layout equipment frees up floor space also.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Jeff Wisnia

Grant Erwin wrote:

The only thing that gives me trouble is items like pliers. Most of
the slot wall hooks are simple pins to hang things from. Pliers and
such need some sort of better "hanger" which us usually a hole or slot
in a board. Anyone have any ideas or good method of hanging this kind
of thing? Where it doesn't interfere with the tool, I've attached a
large washer to the end of some handles to just hang them from the
standard pegs. however, I don't like having pliers and nippers in the
rolling tool chest so want to find a better solution.

Old Popular Mechanics are good sources for ways to use pegboard creatively.

GWE

My pliers hang on pegboard "hooks" which have two parallel wire rods
spaced about 3/4" apart sticking straight out about 5", with a U loop on
the outboard end. I can stack up six or seven pairs, largest ones at the
back.

Looks like these:

http://www.storefixtures2000.com/Wir...wall_hooks.htm

Just stick one plier handle in between the two rods.

Shouldn't be a rocket science project to roll your own either.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
SteveF

The only thing that gives me trouble is items like pliers. Most of the
slot wall hooks are simple pins to hang things from. Pliers and such need
some sort of better "hanger" which us usually a hole or slot in a board.
Anyone have any ideas or good method of hanging this kind of thing? Where
it doesn't interfere with the tool, I've attached a large washer to the
end of some handles to just hang them from the standard pegs. however, I
don't like having pliers and nippers in the rolling tool chest so want to
find a better solution.

Koz

I use a screwdriver rack that goes on the pegboard. That holds one leg of
the small pliers. For large pliers I just put two of the single bars (stick
out straight about 2 inches) side by side and hang the pliers upside down
between them. That also works for my tin snips and scissors.

Steve.

carl mciver

"Koz" wrote in message
news | The only thing that gives me trouble is items like pliers. Most of the
| slot wall hooks are simple pins to hang things from. Pliers and such
| need some sort of better "hanger" which us usually a hole or slot in a
| board. Anyone have any ideas or good method of hanging this kind of
| thing? Where it doesn't interfere with the tool, I've attached a large
| washer to the end of some handles to just hang them from the standard
| pegs. however, I don't like having pliers and nippers in the rolling
| tool chest so want to find a better solution.
|

| Koz

Staple a heavy rubber band or large o-ring to the wall. O-rings last
longer and flop less. Adjust the length with your
stapler. O-rings to suit available at your local hardware box store in the
hardware bins.

Martin H. Eastburn

Rex B wrote:

snip
George
What do you use in the racks for storage - baking sheets/trays?

I also have a bakers rack, but haven't come up with anything to slide
into it.

Speaking of Baking sheets / trays -

I use 'old' Cooking pans - 3" by 8 x 16 maybe - Great for sorting screws or nails ....
Spread them out and take a look.

I also have a large SS pot that I use as a chemical pot - mostly for de-rusting stuff.

I use roll a-rounds, and tool boxes. I'll give a better concept when I move into
my new shop.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Terry Collins

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Rex B wrote:

snip
George
What do you use in the racks for storage - baking sheets/trays?

My steel/wood/plastic off cuts go into #10 tins, then 50L drums, then a
6metre rack/shed I'm currently building. Nuts, bolts, etc go into glass
jars, or large tins (unsorted reclaim).

I use 'old' Cooking pans - 3" by 8 x 16 maybe - Great for sorting screws or nails ....
Spread them out and take a look.

I'm currently into re-using 3litre plasitc milk containers.
Simply cut out a side panel and useful for;
- holding project bits,
- washing/degreasing stuff up to 6" and built in spout,
- sorting screw, bolts, nuts etc (strip out and trash projects)
- medium term storage - write contents on side to find easier

Okay, they are soft plastic, but they don't rust
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:10:28 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I use 'old' Cooking pans - 3" by 8 x 16 maybe - Great for sorting screws or nails ....
Spread them out and take a look.

For sorting, I use a slice off the side of the big laundry detergent
jugs, they even have a pouring spout which facilitates pouring the
contents back into tobacco tin storage (three per stud space resting
on horizontal 1x2's, many levels high) cut off jugs provide additional
storage, soaking containers etc. Scrap goes into the blue box.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Steve Smith

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Speaking of Baking sheets / trays -

I use 'old' Cooking pans - 3" by 8 x 16 maybe - Great for sorting
screws or nails ....
Spread them out and take a look.

I also have a large SS pot that I use as a chemical pot - mostly for
de-rusting stuff.

I use roll a-rounds, and tool boxes. I'll give a better concept when
I move into
my new shop.

Martin

A friend of mine got a whole pile of cafeteria trays cheap. He puts them
in a dado slot between two uprights and has an instant skinny drawer. He
stores his unsorted hardware on them.

Steve

Nick Hull

In article , Rex B
wrote:

My shop is 24x40. The back 10' is enclosed as a storage & office.
Desk, steel shelving for parts storage.

Over this is a loft for bulk storage - tires, wood etc. The compressor
will go up there as soon as I figure out how to lift it. I won't store
it outside for security reasons.

Not a good idea to put heavy stuff up high above your desk. I put heav
y stuff low and light stuff high.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Rex B

Nick Hull wrote:
In article , Rex B
wrote:

My shop is 24x40. The back 10' is enclosed as a storage & office.
Desk, steel shelving for parts storage.

Over this is a loft for bulk storage - tires, wood etc. The compressor
will go up there as soon as I figure out how to lift it. I won't store
it outside for security reasons.

Not a good idea to put heavy stuff up high above your desk. I put heav
y stuff low and light stuff high.

I agree, but this is a fully framed and floored area, not rafters.

Fuhh

I bought some 4 drawer lateral file cabinets at a govt auction. Not
that I wanted them, but they were in the lot of other sh8 that I
wanted. Was going to dump them until I got the idea that I could use
them in my shop. The drawers come out only about 12 inches but the
drawer is about 3 feet wide ! Makes it very easy to see what you have
without bringing the load way out front of the center of gravity.
Plus the top is another shelf.

BTW, Grant:
the whistle you re-drew is lacking the opening for the resonant
chamber

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:19:21 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Four drawer file cabinets help me out a lot. The drawers are strong and
will move easily with a lot of weight in them, and you can store a lot
of loose stuff on top of them too.

If you keep your eyes open you can pick file cabinets up at the "right"
prices at auctions.

Dave Baker

Jeff Wisnia wrote in message

I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks

Four drawer file cabinets help me out a lot. The drawers are strong and
will move easily with a lot of weight in them, and you can store a lot
of loose stuff on top of them too.

Yep, they are very handy and not expensive if you can find them at auctions
and closing down sales - they are the main storage down at the mill and
lathe end of my workshop for all the heavy stuff like chucks, milling tools,
drill sets, soft jaws. They also help keep things rust free in damp air
although not totally. Up at the engine assembly end it's mainly cheap
shelves from the local DIY superstore with stuff in cardboard and plastic
boxes on them and the hand tools are on racks made from fibreboard screwed
to the walls with nails banged in to hold the tools. A cheap version of
pegboard I suppose. The other 1/3 of the wallspace is occupied by benches
which primarily accumulate crap and cease to be of any value at all.

I think the general rule in workshops is that any flat area will accumulate
junk until it can no longer be used for its intended purpose and you then
either have to spend a few days sorting and boxing the junk or get a bigger
workshop.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)