Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rhetorical question

Hugh Glass wrote:
I live in a two story house. The water heater is in the basement.
When I turn on the tub faucet in the morning I can hear the pitch
change when the hot water finally comes through.

Anyone care to guess why?

I thought it was a rhetorical question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

Hugh Glass wrote:
I live in a two story house. The water heater is in the basement.
When I turn on the tub faucet in the morning I can hear the pitch
change when the hot water finally comes through.

Anyone care to guess why?

I thought it was a rhetorical question.

Well, I always took rhetorical as meaning a question with no answer or only
one answer. So maybe it's a quiz or something :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

Hugh Glass wrote:
I live in a two story house. The water heater is in the basement.
When I turn on the tub faucet in the morning I can hear the pitch
change when the hot water finally comes through.

Anyone care to guess why?

I thought it was a rhetorical question.

Well, I always took rhetorical as meaning a question with no answer or only
one answer. So maybe it's a quiz or something :-)

Don't own a dictionary? It amazes me how many
people can't find the 2 minutes to look up a word
in the dictionary. Even more amazing is that some
people don't own a dictionary. My home and the
home I grew up in always had at least 2
dictionaries and most of the time 4 or 5 dictionaries.

Ok. A rhetorical question is one that has the
purpose of eliciting an effect and not an answer.
Many people use "big" words that they don't
know what they mean. They are seldom embarrassed
when someone points out the meaning and usually
just bluster about. I only point out the meaning
because you are not the OP.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

I suspect we've all noticed that the splash of hot water sounds softer
than that of cold. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it is
due to weakening of hydrogen bond clumping of water molecules as they
transition away from freezing pt and toward boiling pt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

Al Bundy wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

Hugh Glass wrote:
I live in a two story house. The water heater is in the basement.
When I turn on the tub faucet in the morning I can hear the pitch
change when the hot water finally comes through.

Anyone care to guess why?
I thought it was a rhetorical question.

Well, I always took rhetorical as meaning a question with no answer
or only one answer. So maybe it's a quiz or something :-)

Don't own a dictionary? It amazes me how many
people can't find the 2 minutes to look up a word
in the dictionary. Even more amazing is that some
people don't own a dictionary. My home and the
home I grew up in always had at least 2
dictionaries and most of the time 4 or 5 dictionaries.

Charming

Ok. A rhetorical question is one that has the
purpose of eliciting an effect and not an answer.
Many people use "big" words that they don't
know what they mean. They are seldom embarrassed
when someone points out the meaning and usually
just bluster about. I only point out the meaning
because you are not the OP.

OK (Ok is incorrect). Yes I have a dictionary. And I use it. It doesn't
give me half-assed definitions like off the Internet. But I don't use it
for every word every time I use it. I don't need to look up rhetorical
any more than I need to look up what the Pythagorean theorem is nor
prove that the diagonal of a square is the SQRT(2) * side.

I pulled out that old dictionary just for you because maybe 20 years ago
I KNOW I saw the definition as I described. I have no idea where my keys
are though.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
New College Edition
Copyright 1979
Houghton Mifflin Company
Boston, MA

rhetorical question. A question to which no answer is expected, or to
which only one answer may be made.

Link to page copy: http://i12.tinypic.com/2w74nj9.jpg

They are seldom embarrassed
when someone points out the meaning and usually
just bluster about.

Glad you mentioned that.

I only point out the meaning
because you are not the OP.

Ain't (ouch! bad English) as sharp as I used to be. That one escapes me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:

[...]

You still need a dictionary, maybe it should just
be a different one.

Two of my dictionaries say what I wrote, Websters
3rd International adds a reason " for which there
is only one possible answer." The key points of
each dictionary definition are are (1) the
question is asked for effect, (2) no answer is
expected, and Websters adds (3) because only one
answer is possible. The point is NO answer is
expected.

I only point out the meaning
because you are not the OP.

Ain't (ouch! bad English) as sharp as I used to be. That one escapes me.

What escapes you? that you aren't the OP? or that
I wasn't going to point out the error to the OP?

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM