Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot tub: bromine vs. chlorine

I'm cleaning and refilling my hot tub for the season and decided to
switch from chlorine to bromine for sanitizer. Anything in particular
I need to look out for? (Beyond the usual water testing, etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm cleaning and refilling my hot tub for the season and decided to
switch from chlorine to bromine for sanitizer. Anything in particular
I need to look out for? (Beyond the usual water testing, etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Some people (like me) get a weird rash from bromine, but not chlorine. If
you switch, I'm not coming over. Seriously, if anyone gets itchy, and it
lasts two weeks, that'll probably be the reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 20:08:48 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
I'm cleaning and refilling my hot tub for the season and decided to
switch from chlorine to bromine for sanitizer. Anything in particular
I need to look out for? (Beyond the usual water testing, etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Some people (like me) get a weird rash from bromine, but not chlorine. If
you switch, I'm not coming over. Seriously, if anyone gets itchy, and it
lasts two weeks, that'll probably be the reason.

That sounds more like a PH issue, which is unconnected to which sanitizer
is
used.

CWM.

I don't know - I'm not a pool expert. But, a few years back, I was
travelling a lot, and it happened in at least 30 different pools & hot tubs.
That's a lot of bad pH situations. Is it that difficult to maintain
correctly? Maybe more likely in hotels?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rash from hotel hot tubs is likely from tubs that are cleaned and
sanitized improperly or infrequently. Google "hot tub rash" and you
will find lots of information, including warnings from the CDC, about
problems with poorly maintained public hot tubs.

It's not hard to maintain a hot tub properly, but most hotels use
chlorine, since they have it on hand for pool maintenance, and chlorine
does not maintain its sanitizing properties well at high temperatures.
It has to be carefully monitored -- more carefully than the average
hotel maintenance staff usually does.

Jo Ann

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 20:08:48 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Rash from hotel hot tubs is likely from tubs that are cleaned and
sanitized improperly or infrequently. Google "hot tub rash" and you
will find lots of information, including warnings from the CDC, about
problems with poorly maintained public hot tubs.

It's not hard to maintain a hot tub properly, but most hotels use
chlorine, since they have it on hand for pool maintenance, and chlorine
does not maintain its sanitizing properties well at high temperatures.
It has to be carefully monitored -- more carefully than the average
hotel maintenance staff usually does.

Jo Ann

Why is it so implausable that the guy is allergic to something in the
bromine sanitation system? He says he's had a rash 30 times from
hotel/public hot tubs. I've never had one from a hotel, yet I've been
in them a lot over the years. Yet, you think this is a problem with
incorrect sanitation as opposed to being allergic?

You believe it to be plausible that someone is allergic to Bromine rather
than making the assumption that a hot tub or pool with a large amount of
different people in it has inadequate sanitization?

There's nothing radically different about bromine to suggest allergies.

Nothing radically different? Do you even understand allergies? Some
people have allergies to a wide variety of chemicals and foods that
others can tolerate with no problems at all. A simple peanut can kill
some people. Is a peanut a "radically" different food? Latex is
widely used, yet some people are allergic to it. The chemicals used
in bromine treated spas are different that chlorine systems, that's the
whole point of them being used. It's perfectly reasonable to think
that someone who reports having a rash 30 times from hotel/public hot
tubs is sensitive to some chemical being used and isn't some nut case.
And if it were a rash caused by bacteria due to improper treatment,
why is it that this person has had it happen 30 times, while others,
like myself, have never had it happen? Geez...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I won't argue it with you, as you appear to be beyond that stage in your
life. I base my opinion after reading about it from numerous sources, none
of which support allegies, all of which support bacterial infection. Feel
free to make your own conclusions from your own sources though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

All sensible, except I can swim all day long in OUTDOOR pools treated with
either bromine or chlorine, with no effect at all. Two dermatologists have
scratched their heads and said "I really don't know".

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

It's possible that you are allergic to something particular to spas
that isn't used in pools. Products used to eliminate foam for example,
which are commonly used in spas, but not in pools. Apparently your 2
dermatologists don't know as much as Eigenvector, who says this is
obviously a bacterial infection and not an allergy, even though you say
it's happened to you 30 times. The possibility of that many skin
infections from a spa is remote. If spas were that bad, they'd all be
closed long ago. Plus the rash from hot tub folliculitis is fairly
distinctive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

higher cost of bromine. chlorinated water more sanitary.
daily testing advised due to sanitizer breakdown at warm temp. see
rash:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/derm.htm

wrote:
I'm cleaning and refilling my hot tub for the season and decided to
switch from chlorine to bromine for sanitizer. Anything in particular
I need to look out for? (Beyond the usual water testing, etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

To my thinking, this would rule out both chlorine and bromine allergy.
Since chlorine is a poor sanitizer at high temperatures (i.e., hot tub
temperatures), and chlorine is the most commonly used sanitizer in
commercial hot tubs, again, this argues for a hot tub folliculitis --
an inflammatory rash caused by organisms in haphazardly maintained hot
tubs (typically Pseudomonas).

Jo Ann

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe. Probably. It's disgusting to think that this organism exists in so
many hot tubs.

wrote in message
ups.com...
To my thinking, this would rule out both chlorine and bromine allergy.
Since chlorine is a poor sanitizer at high temperatures (i.e., hot tub
temperatures), and chlorine is the most commonly used sanitizer in
commercial hot tubs, again, this argues for a hot tub folliculitis --
an inflammatory rash caused by organisms in haphazardly maintained hot
tubs (typically Pseudomonas).

Jo Ann

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Pool Chlorine questions Bill Home Repair 6 June 10th 06 12:25 AM
Swimming Pool Turnover Ross Mac Home Repair 10 December 27th 05 11:29 PM
Need advice on Chlorine Tester [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 13th 05 02:00 AM
Chlorine Alternativeb Doc Home Repair 0 September 17th 05 11:42 PM
Chlorine leak In Phoenix Gunner Metalworking 4 November 19th 03 05:59 AM