Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Hot tub: bromine vs. chlorine

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Rash from hotel hot tubs is likely from tubs that are cleaned and
sanitized improperly or infrequently. Google "hot tub rash" and you
will find lots of information, including warnings from the CDC, about
problems with poorly maintained public hot tubs.

It's not hard to maintain a hot tub properly, but most hotels use
chlorine, since they have it on hand for pool maintenance, and chlorine
does not maintain its sanitizing properties well at high temperatures.
It has to be carefully monitored -- more carefully than the average
hotel maintenance staff usually does.

Jo Ann

Why is it so implausable that the guy is allergic to something in the
bromine sanitation system? He says he's had a rash 30 times from
hotel/public hot tubs. I've never had one from a hotel, yet I've been
in them a lot over the years. Yet, you think this is a problem with
incorrect sanitation as opposed to being allergic?

Why would he assume that hotels use bromine?

FWIW, bromine tabs typically contain chlorine also as I understand it.

Bob