Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jah213@gmail.com is offline

Default Hot tub: bromine vs. chlorine

Rash from hotel hot tubs is likely from tubs that are cleaned and
sanitized improperly or infrequently. Google "hot tub rash" and you
will find lots of information, including warnings from the CDC, about
problems with poorly maintained public hot tubs.

It's not hard to maintain a hot tub properly, but most hotels use
chlorine, since they have it on hand for pool maintenance, and chlorine
does not maintain its sanitizing properties well at high temperatures.
It has to be carefully monitored -- more carefully than the average
hotel maintenance staff usually does.

Jo Ann

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 20:08:48 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
I'm cleaning and refilling my hot tub for the season and decided to
switch from chlorine to bromine for sanitizer. Anything in particular
I need to look out for? (Beyond the usual water testing, etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Some people (like me) get a weird rash from bromine, but not chlorine. If
you switch, I'm not coming over. Seriously, if anyone gets itchy, and it
lasts two weeks, that'll probably be the reason.

That sounds more like a PH issue, which is unconnected to which sanitizer
is
used.

CWM.

I don't know - I'm not a pool expert. But, a few years back, I was
travelling a lot, and it happened in at least 30 different pools & hot tubs.
That's a lot of bad pH situations. Is it that difficult to maintain
correctly? Maybe more likely in hotels?