Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane gas piping

I am replacing an electric range with a gas range. No nat gas service at
my home so I will be using a freestanding propance tank outdoors about 50'
from the applaince. What material should be used for the propane piping
from tank to range?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can only tell you what the pros did at my house; soft copper from the
tank to the house, then 3/4" black metal pipe throughout the house. A
couple of things I picked up talking to / watching them; Don't use
galvanized pipe, it flakes off and plugs pilots and such, leave a drop
( a T with a nipple and cap facing down) every so often to catch the
liquid and leave it a place to evaporate, be very paranoid about every
connection & use gas approved dope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mikekelly" wrote in message
news:03c494b9a73d8071ac12fc92235058c1@homerepairli ve.com...
I am replacing an electric range with a gas range. No nat gas service at
my home so I will be using a freestanding propance tank outdoors about 50'
from the applaince. What material should be used for the propane piping
from tank to range?

Mine was done with 3/8" soft copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mikekelly wrote:
I am replacing an electric range with a gas range. No nat gas service at
my home so I will be using a freestanding propance tank outdoors about 50'
from the applaince. What material should be used for the propane piping
from tank to range?

I would suggest you get the propane company to do it for you. If your
buying gas from them the cost should be minimal and the piece of mind
knowing it is done right and properly tested for leaks is priceless.

Just my .02
George

Posted to alt.home.repair

I dont know your utility prices , but you should consider upgrade
possibilities for heat and HW. For most of the US electric is the
highest price per BTU. For me Electric is 50-60% more than fuels.
Copper and Black pipe may be ok. Call your city inspection or code
office for what is good for your local, gees we don`t know whats
accepted in your situation .

Posted to alt.home.repair

3/8th soft copper on mine. I assume it has enough give in it that frost etc
do not seem to bother it and of course you have no connectors from tank to
appliance to worry abt leaking. Check with your tank and propane supplier
though for what they require as they will not supply either if you do not
meet the specs they use.
cheers
"mikekelly" wrote in message
news:03c494b9a73d8071ac12fc92235058c1@homerepairli ve.com...
I am replacing an electric range with a gas range. No nat gas service at
my home so I will be using a freestanding propance tank outdoors about 50'
from the applaince. What material should be used for the propane piping
from tank to range?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mikekelly wrote:
I am replacing an electric range with a gas range. No nat gas service at
my home so I will be using a freestanding propance tank outdoors about 50'
from the applaince. What material should be used for the propane piping
from tank to range?

As with the other posts, check with your supplier as to local
requirements for accepted material. Bear in mind NFPA requirements for
tank location. Proximity to building openings, ignition sources and
forced ventilation intakes need to be taken into consideration.
Distances from supply to present and possible future appliance(s)also
need to be considered. 50' of 1/2" copper is about the max for a
standard 30" residential range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

design with upgrade ability to heat water is a excellent idea and
probably cheap too. leaves it as a option for the future.

it would give you faster recovery and more hot water when you want it
at a far lower cost.