Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic for windows

I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have is
that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:05:31 -0500, "joegig50"
wrote:

I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have is
that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?

Do the instructions suggest that you clean the windows?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"joegig50" wrote in message
news:ad1b07ef39639a70f176caf05cba0c1d@homerepairli ve.com...
I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have is
that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?

1) The tape works best if you put it on the outer edges of the window
molding, not the front. Not sure if you have thick enough molding in a
mobile home, though.

2) Wipe down the surface to be taped with rubbing alcohol and a lint-free
cloth or paper towel. Let it dry for a minute or two before applying the
tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found that this is one of those times when it pays to buy the
brand name. I have never had a problem getting the 3M brand tape to
stick when using this type of plastic. However, I have often had a
problem getting the off-brands to stick.

Note that even the 3M brand needs a relatively clean, flat, smooth
surface to adhere to. If you are using it on an aluminum window frame
(as is often present in mobile homes), make sure it is completely dry.
If you're trying to stick it to the adjacent wall, make sure the wall
is clean, smooth, and dry.

If you have a different brand of kit, I would suggest buying the 3M
tape (it's available by the roll) instead of using what's in the kit.

Be careful when removing the tape next spring. Even though it's
designed to be removable, if you yank it too quickly, it will sometimes
pull off paint (or, if you have an older mobile home, the paper on the
fake paneling wallboard).

Jo Ann

joegig50 wrote:
I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have is
that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

joegig50 wrote:
I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have
is that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?

The tape may be old or you may be trying to stick on on something that
needs to be cleaned or that is not suitable for taping.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"joegig50" writes:

I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have is
that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?

As I recall, the 3M kits are more than worth their higher price of el
cheapo kits, and their tape was the difference.

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"joegig50" wrote in message
news:ad1b07ef39639a70f176caf05cba0c1d@homerepairli ve.com...
I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have is
that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?

By the way - if it's humid when you're applying the film, like you just took
a shower and the windows were fogged a bit, warm each window up carefully
with the hair dryer. Look at the bottoms for any water that may have
collected and make sure it's wiped up, or evaporated with the hair dryer.
Any residual moisture will cause fog between the window and the plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

In my youth, I used to mask cars for painting in an autobody shop. I learned
then that the surface MUST be clean, dry and dust free. Certain materials do
NOT accept any type of tape readily. These you must super clean, often using
a strong solvent such as lacquer thinner to remove surface oils or other
contaminants before the tape will stick. Be careful the solvent is flammable
and may damage paint, coatings and plastics.

"joegig50" wrote in message
news:ad1b07ef39639a70f176caf05cba0c1d@homerepairli ve.com...
I have as Mobile Home...I have been trying to put Plastic to cover the
windows///You use a HairDryer to tighten it down...The Problem I have is
that the Tape does not want to stick...Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 23:28:31 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

In my youth, I used to mask cars for painting in an autobody shop. I learned
then that the surface MUST be clean, dry and dust free. Certain materials do
NOT accept any type of tape readily. These you must super clean, often using
a strong solvent such as lacquer thinner to remove surface oils or other
contaminants before the tape will stick. Be careful the solvent is flammable
and may damage paint, coatings and plastics.

Sounds like painting garbage trucks...grin
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

In my youth, I used to mask cars for painting in an autobody shop. I
learned
then that the surface MUST be clean, dry and dust free. Certain materials
do
NOT accept any type of tape readily. These you must super clean, often
using
a strong solvent such as lacquer thinner to remove surface oils or other
contaminants before the tape will stick. Be careful the solvent is
flammable
and may damage paint, coatings and plastics.

Sounds like painting garbage trucks...grin

Actually, because the shop had a huge paint room, sometimes they would paint
garbage trucks. Got them in, and got them out fast, they would stink up the
whole building. Usually painted them on a Sunday then left the building as
soon as the truck was rolled out so that the air could clear.

--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."