Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default lost chains on my radiators, any alternatives?

My son pushed the chains that open up my radiators back in through the
cover. I can't get to the covers without disconnecting them from the
wall. They seem to be plastered in. Is there any other way for me to
retrieve them or use some other kind of makeshift thing to keep them
open. They can be pushed open from the front through the vents.

With Chain:

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1971/dscf0554vl3.jpg

Without Chain:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1480/dscf0555ji5.jpg

entire radiator:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6412/dscf0557nv5.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Joe wrote:
My son pushed the chains that open up my radiators back in through the
cover. I can't get to the covers without disconnecting them from the
wall. They seem to be plastered in. Is there any other way for me to
retrieve them or use some other kind of makeshift thing to keep them
open. They can be pushed open from the front through the vents.

With Chain:

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1971/dscf0554vl3.jpg

Without Chain:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1480/dscf0555ji5.jpg

entire radiator:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6412/dscf0557nv5.jpg

Aren't kids great?
Looks like your best bet is reaching in from underneath if that
opening is large enough. Can you feel the end of the chain through
that opening?

If it's too small for your hands, how about your son's?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

underneath is a air intake vent like the back of an air conditioner, it
doesn't allow me any access.

wrote:
In article .com,
Joe wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you meant registers, sheet metal grilles screwed to the
wall with a chain coming out a hole? If they are what I am
thinking about, I'm guessing they are just well stuck with
multiple coats of paint, sheet rock compound?, caulk, etc. Make
sure you have removed the 2 (?) screws. Use a utility knife
around the edge where it meets the wall and get a little mad at
it.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son pushed the chains that open up my radiators back in
through the
cover. I can't get to the covers without disconnecting them from
the
wall. They seem to be plastered in. Is there any other way for
me to
retrieve them or use some other kind of makeshift thing to keep
them
open. They can be pushed open from the front through the vents.

With Chain:

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1971/dscf0554vl3.jpg

Without Chain:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1480/dscf0555ji5.jpg

entire radiator:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6412/dscf0557nv5.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Thanks Dan, that was it. I suspected it should slide off but it looked
so seemless I was worried it was built into the wall. I got the chains
out and back in place - now the tough part, how do I keep my son from
doing it again?

DanG wrote:
I think you meant registers, sheet metal grilles screwed to the
wall with a chain coming out a hole? If they are what I am
thinking about, I'm guessing they are just well stuck with
multiple coats of paint, sheet rock compound?, caulk, etc. Make
sure you have removed the 2 (?) screws. Use a utility knife
around the edge where it meets the wall and get a little mad at
it.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son pushed the chains that open up my radiators back in
through the
cover. I can't get to the covers without disconnecting them from
the
wall. They seem to be plastered in. Is there any other way for
me to
retrieve them or use some other kind of makeshift thing to keep
them
open. They can be pushed open from the front through the vents.

With Chain:

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1971/dscf0554vl3.jpg

Without Chain:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1480/dscf0555ji5.jpg

entire radiator:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6412/dscf0557nv5.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Dan, that was it. I suspected it should slide off but it looked
so seemless I was worried it was built into the wall. I got the chains
out and back in place - now the tough part, how do I keep my son from
doing it again?

Attach something to the end, that is beyond his ability to remove. If that
is ordinary bead chain, any hardware store should have fittings. The
dookickeys sold to put on the end of lamp or fan pull cords come to mind.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son pushed the chains that open up my radiators back in through the
cover. I can't get to the covers without disconnecting them from the
wall. They seem to be plastered in. Is there any other way for me to
retrieve them or use some other kind of makeshift thing to keep them
open. They can be pushed open from the front through the vents.

With Chain:

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1971/dscf0554vl3.jpg

Without Chain:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1480/dscf0555ji5.jpg

entire radiator:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6412/dscf0557nv5.jpg

The only method I can think of is to use long hooked wires thru the chain
hole and the vents, if you can see the chain at all. When you get them back
out, secure something to the end to prevent them from going back in.

If nothing works, you might be able to make some kind of opening in the
cover that can be reclosed or covered without looking bad. Maybe in the
bottom.

Good luck,
Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Joe wrote:
Thanks Dan, that was it. I suspected it should slide off but it looked
so seemless I was worried it was built into the wall. I got the chains
out and back in place - now the tough part, how do I keep my son from
doing it again?

Put a crossbar in the end of the chain so it won't go into the opening.
A 1 inch bolt with 2 nuts at the middle of the bolt is one possibility.
Possibly cut the head off the bolt. A 6-32 or an 8-32 would probably
make a good fit.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L

Adding a new 15mm run for radiators? htmark98 UK diy 18 December 29th 05 11:32 PM
Paint Stripper on Radiators helensy UK diy 20 December 19th 05 08:47 AM
PAINTING RADIATORS Steve Barnes UK diy 2 September 12th 03 06:53 PM
Please help - to microbore or not...? Rebecca UK diy 17 August 21st 03 04:05 PM
Adding Radiators Question b UK diy 2 July 18th 03 05:05 PM