Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default lost chains on my radiators, any alternatives?

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son pushed the chains that open up my radiators back in through the
cover. I can't get to the covers without disconnecting them from the
wall. They seem to be plastered in. Is there any other way for me to
retrieve them or use some other kind of makeshift thing to keep them
open. They can be pushed open from the front through the vents.

With Chain:

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1971/dscf0554vl3.jpg

Without Chain:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1480/dscf0555ji5.jpg

entire radiator:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6412/dscf0557nv5.jpg

The only method I can think of is to use long hooked wires thru the chain
hole and the vents, if you can see the chain at all. When you get them back
out, secure something to the end to prevent them from going back in.

If nothing works, you might be able to make some kind of opening in the
cover that can be reclosed or covered without looking bad. Maybe in the
bottom.

Good luck,
Don Young