Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mold in Window A/C

In the process of cleaning my window a/cs for storage, I discovered one
has some mold growing on the styrofoam where the air blows out (the
metal parts are all fine -- figures). What is the best way to deal
with this? I'm not sure if I should use any wet sprays on the
styrofoam, or even a steam cleaner, and I can't find much info online.
Anyone have any experience in cleaning styrofoam??

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turn off the unit and do not use it if you can. The mold will cross
contaminate your living environment.

If the styrafoam, which i'm hoping can be accessed from the outside,
can be removed replace it. Prior to adding anything new that is
porous to the unit; get a spray bottle wiht half bleach and hald water
and spray the untit down from the outside. Tape heavy plastic over the
unit insidet so that spores cannot go airborne into your living space.

Mold is nothing to be played with . It's a serious problem that can
cause serious health issues in 20% of the population.

Hope this helps. I also moderate HADD_sickhomes on this site.

Tamara

wrote:
In the process of cleaning my window a/cs for storage, I discovered one
has some mold growing on the styrofoam where the air blows out (the
metal parts are all fine -- figures). What is the best way to deal
with this? I'm not sure if I should use any wet sprays on the
styrofoam, or even a steam cleaner, and I can't find much info online.
Anyone have any experience in cleaning styrofoam??

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom

Well, you're getting some opinions. What feels right for you? I
moderate this group on Google: HADD_sickhomes.

My son and I lost our home due to toxic mold. I have worked in
advocacy to aid others for over five years now. If you "think" it's
mold; don't mess with it. Pull the styrafoam and replace it. Prior to
replacement, spray the unit with the bleach mixture from ouside. Your
inside should be sealed with drop cloth plastic that they sell for
painting. Tape it air tight.

Clean the unit with bleach. Replace the styrafoam and it should be OK.
I'd consider some sort of outside cover on the uni to protect it from
the elements.

My ten-room home became cross-contaminated due to toxic mold via the
HVAC ssytem. It was in only two rooms prior to over taking the entire
house. The house was Stage 5 which meant tear down conditions; we lost
everything we owned.

Tamara
Texas Representative
HADD

Tom The Great wrote:
On 1 Oct 2006 10:24:13 -0700, wrote:

In the process of cleaning my window a/cs for storage, I discovered one
has some mold growing on the styrofoam where the air blows out (the
metal parts are all fine -- figures). What is the best way to deal
with this? I'm not sure if I should use any wet sprays on the
styrofoam, or even a steam cleaner, and I can't find much info online.
Anyone have any experience in cleaning styrofoam??

Thanks

First it might not be mold. Small amounts could be dirt or at worse,
a little mildew.

Second, if this was me, and you are not. Good for you. I would
use a disinfectant, and wipe off.

Good luck, tell use what you did. BTW, not a mold, mildew or even a
dirt expert, so not a how-to.

later,

tom

Storm window as main shed window? Dave K. Home Repair 3 July 25th 18 10:44 PM
Brick Mold Installation on Replacement Window Nancie Home Repair 0 August 12th 06 06:41 AM
Mold in window frames John Home Repair 4 November 30th 05 09:01 PM
window plugs for soundproofing xyz Home Repair 12 May 31st 04 10:55 PM
How to remove mold in house Susan Oliver Home Ownership 1 September 12th 03 08:58 PM