Posted to alt.home.repair
tamara719 tamara719 is offline

Default Mold in Window A/C

Turn off the unit and do not use it if you can. The mold will cross
contaminate your living environment.

If the styrafoam, which i'm hoping can be accessed from the outside,
can be removed replace it. Prior to adding anything new that is
porous to the unit; get a spray bottle wiht half bleach and hald water
and spray the untit down from the outside. Tape heavy plastic over the
unit insidet so that spores cannot go airborne into your living space.

Mold is nothing to be played with . It's a serious problem that can
cause serious health issues in 20% of the population.

Hope this helps. I also moderate HADD_sickhomes on this site.

Tamara

wrote:
In the process of cleaning my window a/cs for storage, I discovered one
has some mold growing on the styrofoam where the air blows out (the
metal parts are all fine -- figures). What is the best way to deal
with this? I'm not sure if I should use any wet sprays on the
styrofoam, or even a steam cleaner, and I can't find much info online.
Anyone have any experience in cleaning styrofoam??

Thanks