Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lighting Question

I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights that
is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the art at
night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights
that is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the
art at night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Usually yes. Of course it depends on whether the picture is an oil (acrylic,
etc.), water color, charcoal, a black-and-white photo, a color photo,
mosaics, and so on. Also the type of bulb matters.

Check with the restoration section of your local art museum.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Kate wrote:
Thank you very much.

Kate

HeyBub wrote:

Kate wrote:

I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights
that is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the
art at night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Usually yes. Of course it depends on whether the picture is an oil (acrylic,
etc.), water color, charcoal, a black-and-white photo, a color photo,
mosaics, and so on. Also the type of bulb matters.

Check with the restoration section of your local art museum.

--------------000804050404000705030202

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
title/title
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#330000"
Thank you very much.br
br
Katebr
br
HeyBub wrote:
blockquote " type="cite"
pre wrap=""Kate wrote:
/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights

pre wrap=""!----
Usually yes. Of course it depends on whether the picture is an oil (acrylic,
etc.), water color, charcoal, a black-and-white photo, a color photo,
mosaics, and so on. Also the type of bulb matters.

Check with the restoration section of your local art museum.

/pre
/blockquote
/body
/html

--------------000804050404000705030202--

If it is very expensive are, I'd worry about everything. But for
prints or less expensive stuff, I double 50 watts of incandencent will
do much. Florecent would be a concern, though. But 50 watts of
florecent is quite a bit of light.

If it's a photo or something will glass in front of it, don't worry
because you should be using glass that will protect for UV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights
that is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the
art at night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Thanks.

Kate

Yes, any light will. However tungsten lamps do so far less than sun
light. Also it is the total amount of light.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:23:31 -0700, Kate wrote:

I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights that
is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the art at
night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Thanks.

Kate

Not sure, but aren't picture lights UV filtered? A coating on teh
bulbs? If so, I guess the fading problem might have been addresssed.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only thing it says on the package is: Tubular bulb incandescent
picture light. I think I will return it, as
I am afraid of fading.

Thank you.

Tom The Great wrote:

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:23:31 -0700, Kate wrote:

I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights that
is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the art at
night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Thanks.

Kate

Not sure, but aren't picture lights UV filtered? A coating on teh
bulbs? If so, I guess the fading problem might have been addresssed.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Kate wrote:
The only thing it says on the package is: Tubular bulb incandescent
picture light. I think I will return it, as
I am afraid of fading.

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry too much about 50 watts of incandescent.

That's about as mild as you will get and still have it out in the open.
Being near a window would do worse things.

If it's valuable, 1 or a kind, there are other precautions you should
take that would have more an impact than this. For example, what about
your windows? You'll get more UV from them than anything.

--------------060804080901020500070107

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
title/title
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#330000"
The only thing it says on the package is:  Tubular bulb incandescent
picture light.  I think I will return it, asbr
I am afraid of fading.br
br
Thank you.br
br
Tom The Great wrote:br
blockquote m"
type="cite"
pre wrap=""On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:23:31 -0700, Kate a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" "<basinnospam@ nwi.net>/a wrote:

/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights that
is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the art at
night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Thanks.

Kate
/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----

Not sure, but aren't picture lights UV filtered? A coating on teh
bulbs? If so, I guess the fading problem might have been addresssed.

later,

tom @ a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.Consolidated-Loans.info"www.Consolidated-Loans.info/a

/pre
/blockquote
/body
/html

--------------060804080901020500070107--

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Kate wrote:
I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights that
is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the art at
night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Thanks.

Kate

You're using something similar to these. If they were terrible,
there'd be warnings here. Don't sweat it.
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/picturelights/

Posted to alt.home.repair

I always keep my blinds closed until the sun goes around the corner.

It is one of a kind, and I think I will call some art galleries tomorrow.

Thanks for being so helpful.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is super helpful. Mine is very similar to the Hobby Hill Studio
Series, except I have two 25 watt incandesecent lights.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Kate

Pat wrote:

Kate wrote:

I just purchased a picture light. It is one of those fancy lights that
is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the art at
night.

There are two 25 watt bulbs.

Can this fade my picture after a period of time?

Thanks.

Kate

You're using something similar to these. If they were terrible,
there'd be warnings here. Don't sweat it.
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/picturelights/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Kate wrote:
I always keep my blinds closed until the sun goes around the corner.

It is one of a kind, and I think I will call some art galleries tomorrow.

Thanks for being so helpful.

I hate to say this to someone who seems as terribly nice are you seem,
but I don't think your issue is "lighting". I think you need
professional help. But don't go visit a shrink, go visit someone and
talk about preservation and preservation techniques.

Think off all of the art you have seen in museums. Think about it.
You saw it. YOU saw it.

Life is risky and so is owning art. Either you can enjoy it or you can
protect it, but it's hard to do both.

Most oils on canvas are pretty durable things. Think what the old
masters have been through and still survived. This of the frescos of
the world with no protection. The old pigments were pretty durable.

On the other extreme are photos and your kids 3rd grade drawing on
newsprint. Those things will fade and deteriorate. There's not
stopping it -- but there are some tricks that might seem like you can.

There are also those things you can put behind glass (photos, prints)
and those you can't (oils, canvas). If you can put it behind glass,
get GOOD glass and do so. If you can't, get good glass (or sheets of
UV film) in your windows. In either case, you can stop living in a
cave and gets some good light into the place.

Go talk to someone and you'll get some guidance. Can't help much here
because there's no idea what kind of art it is.

If it's professionally mounted and framed, that's probably good. If
not, take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it
prepped right. Otherwise you might find the gasses, etc., from the
mount might do more harm that anything else.

Life's short. Enjoy your art. Don't do anything stupid, but don't get
paranoid, either.

--------------000003010005080404040507

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
title/title
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#330000"
I always keep my blinds closed until the sun goes around the corner.br
br
It is one of a kind, and I think I will call some art galleries
tomorrow.  br
br
Thanks for being so helpful.br
blockquote
egroups.com"
type="cite"
pre wrap=""Kate wrote:
/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""The only thing it says on the package is: Tubular bulb incandescent
picture light. I think I will return it, as
I am afraid of fading.

Thank you.
/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----
I wouldn't worry too much about 50 watts of incandescent.

That's about as mild as you will get and still have it out in the open.
Being near a window would do worse things.

If it's valuable, 1 or a kind, there are other precautions you should
take that would have more an impact than this. For example, what about
your windows? You'll get more UV from them than anything.

/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""Tom The Great wrote:

/pre
blockquote type="cite"
[...]

pre wrap=""--------------060804080901020500070107

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
The only thing it says on the package is:  Tubular bulb incandescent
picture light.  I think I will return it, as<br>
I am afraid of fading.<br>
Thank you.<br>
Tom The Great wrote:<br>
type="cite">

</pre>

<pre wrap=""><!---->

Not sure, but aren't picture lights UV filtered? A coating on teh
bulbs? If so, I guess the fading problem might have been addresssed.

later,

tom @ <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.Consolidated-Loans.info""http://www.Consolidated-Loans.info"/a>a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.Consolidated-Loans.info"www.Consolidated-Loans.info/a</a>

</pre>

--------------060804080901020500070107--
/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----
/pre
/blockquote
/body
/html

--------------000003010005080404040507--

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, Pat wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

A lot of glass passes more UV than a lot of people think. I would get
UV film, and one I like is a stage lighting "filter gel" - GAM 1510 "UV
Shield" - which blocks even a little borderline-visible-UV band that gets
through polycarbonate. The Rosco 03114 is similar.

Meanwhile, visible light (especially violet-blue) is not completely
harmless. I would ask art preservation experts how much is reasonably
safe.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Time is also a major factor here.

1 hour a day at 500 lux is the same damage as 5 hours a day at 100 lux.

(Kate- lux is a measure of brightness on the painting.)

A timer or just care in using your light can make a big difference for
you.

RickR

Posted to alt.home.repair

this woman knows more about this topic than all of us put together:

http://www.drloriv.com/advice/light.htm

Empresser #124457

The best Games

--------------030002070607060209020202

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
title/title
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#330000"
I just purchased a picture light.  It is one of those fancy lights that
is installed over a piece of artwork, and it then shows off the art at
night.  br
br
There are two 25 watt bulbs.br
br
Can this fade my picture after a period of time?br
br
Thanks.br
br
Katebr