Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Lighting Question

In article .com, Pat wrote:

Kate wrote:
I always keep my blinds closed until the sun goes around the corner.

It is one of a kind, and I think I will call some art galleries tomorrow.

Thanks for being so helpful.

I hate to say this to someone who seems as terribly nice are you seem,
but I don't think your issue is "lighting". I think you need
professional help. But don't go visit a shrink, go visit someone and
talk about preservation and preservation techniques.

Think off all of the art you have seen in museums. Think about it.
You saw it. YOU saw it.

Life is risky and so is owning art. Either you can enjoy it or you can
protect it, but it's hard to do both.

Most oils on canvas are pretty durable things. Think what the old
masters have been through and still survived. This of the frescos of
the world with no protection. The old pigments were pretty durable.

On the other extreme are photos and your kids 3rd grade drawing on
newsprint. Those things will fade and deteriorate. There's not
stopping it -- but there are some tricks that might seem like you can.

There are also those things you can put behind glass (photos, prints)
and those you can't (oils, canvas). If you can put it behind glass,
get GOOD glass and do so. If you can't, get good glass (or sheets of
UV film) in your windows.

A lot of glass passes more UV than a lot of people think. I would get
UV film, and one I like is a stage lighting "filter gel" - GAM 1510 "UV
Shield" - which blocks even a little borderline-visible-UV band that gets
through polycarbonate. The Rosco 03114 is similar.

Meanwhile, visible light (especially violet-blue) is not completely
harmless. I would ask art preservation experts how much is reasonably
safe.

- Don Klipstein )