Posted to alt.home.repair

Default soo-soft water softener??? Does it work???

Ok, I have come to the decision that I need a water softener on my
home. It is an older home and I don't have much space. I even went to a
point of contact water heater to save space. I also do not like the
idea of maintenance on the conventional water softeners. Has any one
tried this type or know anythig about it. It uses no salt and easy to
hook up. Apparenty works off electrical current to break up the calcium
carbonate into smaller molecules that dont have the problems as normal
hard water. Any thoughts?

http://www.soo-soft.com/./3tdhow_it_works.html

Just as an opera singer can break glass with her voice, the Soo-Soft
water softener converts the hard calcium in the water. It does this
through the use of a computer that creates multiple groups of high
frequencies, which are driven into the coil that is wrapped around the
incoming water pipe for the home. Although these frequencies are beyond
the range of our ability to hear them, they continually break down the
calcium into smaller and smaller particles until it reaches a
consistency so fine that the water becomes silky-soft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Ok, I have come to the decision that I need a water softener on my
home. It is an older home and I don't have much space. I even went
to a point of contact water heater to save space. I also do not
like the idea of maintenance on the conventional water softeners.
Has any one tried this type or know anythig about it. It uses no
salt and easy to hook up. Apparenty works off electrical current to
break up the calcium carbonate into smaller molecules that dont
have the problems as normal hard water. Any thoughts?

1. Molecules of a particular thing are all the same size.

2. If your water is so hard that the calcium carbonate precipitates
and crystalizes (as claimed by the site) into "argonite" (it's
aragonite) then you don't have water, you have sludge. Drill another
well.

3. The site says that normal softeners replace calcium with salt.
They don't.

3. The site is full of hooey. If it works as well as their site is
accurate I'd avoid it like the plague.
____________

Just as an opera singer can break glass with her voice, the Soo-Soft
water softener converts the hard calcium in the water. It does this
through the use of a computer that creates multiple groups of high
frequencies, which are driven into the coil that is wrapped around
the incoming water pipe for the home. Although these frequencies
are beyond the range of our ability to hear them, they continually
break down the calcium into smaller and smaller particles until it
reaches a consistency so fine that the water becomes silky-soft.

Too bad they didn't claim those high frequencies didn't drive away
rats & roaches too...they'd have a double threat product

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

In order to soften water you need to remove the minerals in the water.
There are resin inside the softer that will "filter" out the minerals
in the water. Salt or potassium are used to clean the resin
periodically so the resin can filter again. This is the short
explaination.

I am currently using Ecowater with potassium: http://www.ecowater.com

But there are a lot of makes and model operating with the same
principle. I like the Ecowater ones because it's relatively small.

[AdvanceAgent #367924]
Game I am currently playing:
http://uc.gamestotal.com/?in=367924

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Apparenty works off electrical current to break up the calcium
carbonate into smaller molecules that dont have the problems as normal
hard water. Any thoughts?

http://www.soo-soft.com/./3tdhow_it_works.html

My thoughts? I can save you 25% on this and you will still get the same
benefis. Find out how much it costs to have up and running. Go the the
bank, withdraw 75% of that amount. Flush it down the toilet, or in winter,
burn it for heat and save even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AdvanceAgent wrote:
In order to soften water you need to remove the minerals in the water.
There are resin inside the softer that will "filter" out the minerals
in the water. Salt or potassium are used to clean the resin
periodically so the resin can filter again. This is the short
explaination.

I am currently using Ecowater with potassium: http://www.ecowater.com

But there are a lot of makes and model operating with the same
principle. I like the Ecowater ones because it's relatively small.

[AdvanceAgent #367924]
Game I am currently playing:
http://uc.gamestotal.com/?in=367924

A softener only uses the sodium or potassium of the sodium chloride or
potassium chloride, softener salt or salt substitute.

All softeners use/have sodium form resin or man made Zeolite, so
potassium is not as efficient and in many cases you will have to set
the salt dose higher than if you were using softener salt. The incease
can be as high as 30% more., while potassium always costs 1-2 times
more than salt for the same size bag.

As to the physical water treatment anti scale or descaling devices....
they don't soften water, they are supposed to prevent or reduce scaling
caused by water hardness. And the vast majority don't work in
residential applications. And those few that do leave a white powdey
film on all surfaces the water is allowed to evaporate on.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Slusser wrote:
AdvanceAgent wrote:
In order to soften water you need to remove the minerals in the water.
There are resin inside the softer that will "filter" out the minerals
in the water. Salt or potassium are used to clean the resin
periodically so the resin can filter again. This is the short
explaination.

I am currently using Ecowater with potassium: http://www.ecowater.com

But there are a lot of makes and model operating with the same
principle. I like the Ecowater ones because it's relatively small.

[AdvanceAgent #367924]
Game I am currently playing:
http://uc.gamestotal.com/?in=367924

A softener only uses the sodium or potassium of the sodium chloride or
potassium chloride, softener salt or salt substitute.

Lets be perfectly clear about this. Water softeners work by replacing
calcium, magnesium and other metals in carbonate groups with either
sodium or potassium.They do not remove minerals from water. The
only processes that I know about that we can do as consumers to REMOVE
minerals are either Distillation,or Reverse Osmosis.

The amount of sodium (or potassium) added to water is trivial. Drinking
64oz a day of this stuff, 7 days a week will add less Sodium to your
diet in a month than eating ONE of ANY fast food joint's quarter pound
hamburger with cheese

And ecowater's softeners do not appear to be necessarily any smaller in
physical size than any other unit.

All softeners use/have sodium form resin or man made Zeolite, so
potassium is not as efficient and in many cases you will have to set
the salt dose higher than if you were using softener salt. The incease
can be as high as 30% more., while potassium always costs 1-2 times
more than salt for the same size bag.

The limiting item on size is how much resin is in the unit Amount of
resin determines how much water it can treat between backwashes of the
resin bed. Everyone uses the same resin suppliers,there are NO magic
bullets out there
..
As to the physical water treatment anti scale or descaling devices....
they don't soften water, they are supposed to prevent or reduce scaling
caused by water hardness. And the vast majority don't work in
residential applications. And those few that do leave a white powdey
film on all surfaces the water is allowed to evaporate on.

This qualifies as a magic bullet. How in the world does a high
intensity magnet affect non-ferrous minerals in water???Ok, if the
magnetic intensity is HIGH enough,some effects can be noticed. But the
question is,do most devices sold into the residential market achieve
the required magnetic field intensity. I agree with Gary, this is
hocus pocus for homes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
oups.com...

Lets be perfectly clear about this. Water softeners work by replacing
calcium, magnesium and other metals in carbonate groups with either
sodium or potassium.They do not remove minerals from water. The
only processes that I know about that we can do as consumers to REMOVE
minerals are either Distillation,or Reverse Osmosis.

The amount of sodium (or potassium) added to water is trivial. Drinking
64oz a day of this stuff, 7 days a week will add less Sodium to your
diet in a month than eating ONE of ANY fast food joint's quarter pound
hamburger with cheese

I don't care about the dietary aspect, but I have a question. At a friend's
house, the water at the 2nd floor faucet has a definite salty taste that's
NOT present at the 1st floor faucets. All pipes are copper - relatively new
house. Why would this be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Water softeners treat the ENTIRE water supply of the house. They are
installed at a point shortly after the cold water line enters the
house. Sodium Carbonate, the mineral present in water after passing
thru a water softener. Look it up on wikipedia, sodium carbonate has a
cooling alkaline taste, no HINT of saltiness.

The salty taste in second story faucets is a plumbing problem for the
second story. Someone messed up the plumbing to the second story. Only
God knows what this is now, They need to talk to a plumber and get the
plumber to check it out to see what is wrong.

Water softeners do not introduce Sodium Chloride (ala Salt) to the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

The kitchen faucet cold water might be plumbed with hard water. (My
house is like that.) The first floor bathrooms might also be plumbed
with hard cold water to the sink and/or toilet. The upstairs surely has
only softened water running to it because they wouldn't run a third pipe
up there for the hard water.

Water softeners replace each calcium or magnesium ion with 2 ions of
sodium -- but it's not as much as you would think because there's not
much calcium and magnesium in the water.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Take it from someone who has LIVED with a water softener in place for
over 20 years.

WATER SOFTENERS DO NOT MAKE WATER SALTY TO THE TASTE!!!!!

And it could be just the other way around. Second story branches off
BEFORE the water softener, and no one thought to warn/tell the
homeowner. Second story hard, unconditioned water, mineral taste to
it, vaguely salty, but more mineral tasting than salt. Ground floor,
nice tasting water as it comes off of the softener.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
t...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Sounds right. The guy who installed the upstairs plumbing was an idiot. In
the tub, the faucet's on one end and the overflow drain is on the other. No
way to get comfortable. Useless, in other words.