Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT but you guys are good...

I need to move a big screen TV down a flight of concrete stairs. The TV
is large, 4' tall, 2' thick and 4'+ wide. My guess is its about 200lbs
or more. When I brought the tv up the stairs it was in its packaging,
thick cardboard and we slid the box up the stairs. Well, now we can't.
It has wheels on the bottom that won't come off. There is no where to
handle the TV except the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
get it down the stairs without destroying the TV? I am wrapping the
outside in moving blankets and duct tape. Maybe some kind of straps
like piano movers use? Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to move a big screen TV down a flight of concrete stairs. The TV
is large, 4' tall, 2' thick and 4'+ wide. My guess is its about 200lbs
or more. When I brought the tv up the stairs it was in its packaging,
thick cardboard and we slid the box up the stairs. Well, now we can't.
It has wheels on the bottom that won't come off. There is no where to
handle the TV except the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
get it down the stairs without destroying the TV? I am wrapping the
outside in moving blankets and duct tape. Maybe some kind of straps
like piano movers use? Thanks in advance.

Go to a boat supply or hardware store and get yourself some GOOD nylon rope,
at least 3/4" thick for easy handling. You'll need two pieces. One that's
twice the distance down the stairs plus 15-20 feet. The extra length is for
two people at the top of the stairs to have plenty to hang onto. The second
rope will be wrapped around the TV vertically, providing a place to attach
the long piece that goes up the stairs. Put two people on the stairs with
the TV to gently guide it down each step. The people at the top will support
much of the weight, keeping the set from sliding too fast.

Good rope is not cheap, so you want to find a way to keep the ends from
unravelling. While you can melt them with a lighter, that's sloppy, but a
reasonable temporary solution. Boat supply stores usually sell a sort of
epoxy dip for sealing the ends. Burn the ends, dip, allow to dry for 24
hours, then use a very sharp knife to make a nice clean cut and remove the
sloppy burnt ends. Then, dip again. Unless you do something nasty to it, the
rope will last longer than you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:22:36 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Good rope is not cheap, so you want to find a way to keep the ends from
unravelling. While you can melt them with a lighter, that's sloppy, but a
reasonable temporary solution. Boat supply stores usually sell a sort of
epoxy dip for sealing the ends. Burn the ends, dip, allow to dry for 24
hours, then use a very sharp knife to make a nice clean cut and remove
the
sloppy burnt ends. Then, dip again. Unless you do something nasty to it,
the
rope will last longer than you.

You only need some string and a minute to whip to end of a line. Wrap the
string tight and put it through the loop. Pull the dead end until the ends
are inside the wraps, then trim both ends. Lasts a lifetime and only takes
a short time to learn. One of those things like riding a bike, you never
forget how to after doing it a couple of times.

http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg

Not "some string", but waxed string made for that purpose. I like this
method better, too, but even boat supply places don't always have the right
string available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:01:51 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"RLM" wrote in message
[...]

I've always used what I had available and never had a problem. I've never
looked for any special string. I just pick a piece of string based
on the diameter of the line that needs whipped. Most packing twine or cord
works for me.

Tradition, I guess. I've been using the waxed twine for almost 50 years. In
wet environments, it's less prone to rotting, although nowadays, it's
Dacron, so who cares? :-)
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message
[...]

I have always melted the ends and that works just fine; but occasionally I
get some kevlar or spectra, and that won't melt. I will try your method,
thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Couldn't you just strap it to a hand truck?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:12:27 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

wrote in news:1159459404.553131.214940
:

I need to move a big screen TV down a flight of concrete stairs. The TV
is large, 4' tall, 2' thick and 4'+ wide. My guess is its about 200lbs
or more. When I brought the tv up the stairs it was in its packaging,
thick cardboard and we slid the box up the stairs. Well, now we can't.
It has wheels on the bottom that won't come off. There is no where to
handle the TV except the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
get it down the stairs without destroying the TV? I am wrapping the
outside in moving blankets and duct tape. Maybe some kind of straps
like piano movers use? Thanks in advance.

This is a general comment not directed at the OP in particular.

Why the hell do people need/want these big ass screens? They cost a
billion dollars (+tax) and the pictures suck on every one of them. They
are blury, rotton colors, some you can't see unless you are right
directly in front of it. What do you do when more than one person wants
to watch? Stack chairs like bunkbeds? Sit shortest to tallest behind each
other? People put them in rooms that cover the entire wall and the
opposite wall is 12ft away. Honestly, dirt cheap 25/27" TVs, even the
Chinese ones with recycled beer cans for wiring have pictures 10x better.

OK, personal peeve [off]
:-)

My solution to the problem of moving a big TV is to use a projector
(no harder to move than a DVD player) and screen (rolls up and is easy
to carry) instead of one of those big & heavy sets.. The screen I
currently have allows a 72-inch screen (for 4:3) or 66-inch (16:9).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
-- George Washington
Posted to alt.home.repair

@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Hence the reason its going back....

And as to why can't we just carry it. Well, the stairs are just a tab
bit wider than the tv. So the person on the higher side has no place to
put his feet while walking down. Unless you actually carry the tv, its
hard to describe why its not as easy as it sounds.

And in response to 'how do you think moving companies move it?'. Well,
I don't know how they move it, that why I posted the Q on a group full
of intelligent people. If I knew how movers moved things like thisI
would have saved myself the keystrokes.

But again, the tv has left the building. I used the forearm straps and
it worked fine save a couple of small chips off the bottom corners.
Nothing super glue won't fix. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/06 11:12 pm Al Bundy wrote:

This is a general comment not directed at the OP in particular.

Why the hell do people need/want these big ass screens? They cost a
billion dollars (+tax) and the pictures suck on every one of them. They
are blury, rotton colors, some you can't see unless you are right
directly in front of it. What do you do when more than one person wants
to watch? Stack chairs like bunkbeds? Sit shortest to tallest behind each
other? People put them in rooms that cover the entire wall and the
opposite wall is 12ft away. Honestly, dirt cheap 25/27" TVs, even the
Chinese ones with recycled beer cans for wiring have pictures 10x better.

OK, personal peeve [off]
:-)

I've seen some of the older big-screen TVs, and indeed they were fuzzy,
dim and/or lacking in contrast,, and suffered from a narrow viewing
angle -- and likely cost twice as much as a current model. But most of
the newer HD ones look wonderful.

But keep in mind that not all the stores that have HD TVs on display
have them displaying an HD picture. I asked once at a Circuit City store
why not and was told that if people buy an HD TV and take it home and
connected it to their regular non-HD satellite or cable box they'll come
back and complain that the picture doesn't look like it did on the one
in the store.

Perce (who so far has only a 26" TV -- but it is HD)

VERY IMPORTANT - MUY IMPORTANTE - okay UK diy 438 April 3rd 06 10:04 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
good inspector to recommend in the Boston area? Tony Home Ownership 0 October 19th 04 04:38 PM
Design - Cultural Factors charlieb Woodworking 4 July 28th 03 07:51 PM