Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT but you guys are good...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to move a big screen TV down a flight of concrete stairs. The TV
is large, 4' tall, 2' thick and 4'+ wide. My guess is its about 200lbs
or more. When I brought the tv up the stairs it was in its packaging,
thick cardboard and we slid the box up the stairs. Well, now we can't.
It has wheels on the bottom that won't come off. There is no where to
handle the TV except the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
get it down the stairs without destroying the TV? I am wrapping the
outside in moving blankets and duct tape. Maybe some kind of straps
like piano movers use? Thanks in advance.

Go to a boat supply or hardware store and get yourself some GOOD nylon rope,
at least 3/4" thick for easy handling. You'll need two pieces. One that's
twice the distance down the stairs plus 15-20 feet. The extra length is for
two people at the top of the stairs to have plenty to hang onto. The second
rope will be wrapped around the TV vertically, providing a place to attach
the long piece that goes up the stairs. Put two people on the stairs with
the TV to gently guide it down each step. The people at the top will support
much of the weight, keeping the set from sliding too fast.

Good rope is not cheap, so you want to find a way to keep the ends from
unravelling. While you can melt them with a lighter, that's sloppy, but a
reasonable temporary solution. Boat supply stores usually sell a sort of
epoxy dip for sealing the ends. Burn the ends, dip, allow to dry for 24
hours, then use a very sharp knife to make a nice clean cut and remove the
sloppy burnt ends. Then, dip again. Unless you do something nasty to it, the
rope will last longer than you.