Posted to alt.home.repair

Default External 7-day timer for oven...

I would like to put our oven on a 7 day timer so I can program it to
go on and off at times of my choosing.

The specs say that they draw 40A @240V and require a 50A circuit.
Even the Intermatic commercial timers seem to tap out at 30A for
electronic ones and 40A for manual ones.

Anybody know of a good source of timer that would handle my load?

(interesting aside" my expensive "professional series" Thermador oven
doesn't have any timers whereas even the cheap white box appliances
are chock full of electronics0
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
I would like to put our oven on a 7 day timer so I can program it to
go on and off at times of my choosing.

The specs say that they draw 40A @240V and require a 50A circuit.
Even the Intermatic commercial timers seem to tap out at 30A for
electronic ones and 40A for manual ones.

uh, this current draw is only when the oven is TURNED ON and
the thermostat switches ON. maybe a trickle of current if it has
a clock.

How about turning it ON when u want to use it and OFF when
through? I assume you're talking about an oven to bake food in?

Anybody know of a good source of timer that would handle my load?

lol, is perhaps this post is a 'load' and you're pulling our legs?

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

odd request, if you don't wat an external oven temp controller and
timer (availiable from omega.com) then you could check places like
grainger.com or mcmaster.com for industrial grade timers.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

blueman wrote:
I would like to put our oven on a 7 day timer so I can program it to
go on and off at times of my choosing.

The specs say that they draw 40A @240V and require a 50A circuit.
Even the Intermatic commercial timers seem to tap out at 30A for
electronic ones and 40A for manual ones.

Anybody know of a good source of timer that would handle my load?

(interesting aside" my expensive "professional series" Thermador oven
doesn't have any timers whereas even the cheap white box appliances
are chock full of electronics0

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

blueman wrote:
I would like to put our oven on a 7 day timer so I can program it to
go on and off at times of my choosing.

The specs say that they draw 40A @240V and require a 50A circuit.
Even the Intermatic commercial timers seem to tap out at 30A for
electronic ones and 40A for manual ones.

Anybody know of a good source of timer that would handle my load?

The timer doesn't have to handle the load--all it has to do is control
a relay whose secondary load contacts are size for the actual load.

(interesting aside" my expensive "professional series" Thermador oven
doesn't have any timers whereas even the cheap white box appliances
are chock full of electronics0

I would presume this would be because in a "professional" use, one
would expect the chef to be there rather than starting the roast whilst
in church to be ready for dinner when gets home. (I presume such is
the intent of the question, but I also agree w/ the comments that as a
device external to the oven it doesn't sound like a real good idea.

If this feature is sufficiently important, would probably be a better
solution to find a range/oven that incorporates the timer, but it
certainly _could_ be done as noted above.

The real problem here is that the only way to make it work is to leave
the oven "on" all the time whereas the internal timers actually turn
the oven itself off. I suppose if one were to get only a "single-shot"
timer it would be essentially the same, but a continuous 7-day/24-hr
timer w/ the oven always on is, I concur, a bad idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with the other posters that this sounds like an idea bound to
cause trouble. And just to add some fuel to the fire, I can add
something (below).

dpb wrote:
blueman wrote:
I would like to put our oven on a 7 day timer so I can program it to
go on and off at times of my choosing.

The specs say that they draw 40A @240V and require a 50A circuit.
Even the Intermatic commercial timers seem to tap out at 30A for
electronic ones and 40A for manual ones.

Anybody know of a good source of timer that would handle my load?

The timer doesn't have to handle the load--all it has to do is control
a relay whose secondary load contacts are size for the actual load.

And conveniently, if your oven is is gas (probably not, at 40A) or has
an electronic thermostat or timer for the oven, then your existing oven
might just have such a relay built in, that is precisely the correct
size for operating your oven. All you would need to do is splice pretty
much any timer into the existing relay circuit.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
blueman wrote:
[...]

..
Concur sounds like bad idea.
However as foot note and not in reply to the question; we have on
several electric ovens interposed a relay between the oven thermostat
and the oven element. In other words the thermostat now controls a
small current to the relay coil and contacts of the relay actually
switch the oven heater on/off.
Used several types of relays including electric baseboard heating
relays and also some surplus but new 230 volt signal relays with
suitable contact rating.
Being in the catering and school cafeteria business we got tired of
replacing directly connected oven thermostats and after this solution
we never replaced another!
I guess manufacturers don't us a relay because of the additional cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:32:56 -0500, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

I'm not sure this is a good idea, nor practical. How many items could you
leave in your oven for more than 12/24 hours without going bad, which would
necessitate more than a standard timer? Also, it seems like a huge safety
hazard. I'm not a big fan of leaving things in the oven unattended to begin
with, but to have a separate timer that could potentially be forgotten
about, meanwhile someone puts the electric skillet in the oven, oven kicks
in 2 days later when nobody's around... Bad news.

I agree. My mother was a worry-wort, and it made me a bit reckless,
but in this case, I agree with her too.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:14:10 GMT, blueman wrote Re
External 7-day timer for oven...:

I would like to put our oven on a 7 day timer so I can program it to
go on and off at times of my choosing.

The specs say that they draw 40A @240V and require a 50A circuit.
Even the Intermatic commercial timers seem to tap out at 30A for
electronic ones and 40A for manual ones.

Anybody know of a good source of timer that would handle my load?

(interesting aside" my expensive "professional series" Thermador oven
doesn't have any timers whereas even the cheap white box appliances
are chock full of electronics0

You might try a pottery kiln manufacturer or parts supply house. My
wife's electric (220V, 40A) kiln has such a programmable control
attached to it.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.