Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement of Molding Around Glass Panel on Front Door

Does anyone have past success with replacing the molding around a glass
insert in a steel front door? For months, I have tried calling door
companies, carpenters, door installers, etc. and have yet to find
anyone who has successfully replaced their cracked vinyl molding
without having to buy a new door! Your help will be greatly
appreciated. This is a first for me to attempt using the internet to
request help/information. Bear with me as I learn how this works!!
Jean in Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/06 08:33 pm wrote:

Does anyone have past success with replacing the molding around a glass
insert in a steel front door? For months, I have tried calling door
companies, carpenters, door installers, etc. and have yet to find
anyone who has successfully replaced their cracked vinyl molding
without having to buy a new door! Your help will be greatly
appreciated. This is a first for me to attempt using the internet to
request help/information. Bear with me as I learn how this works!!

Do you know who the manufacturer of the door was? Still in business? We
had no problem getting replacement glasses and rims for our Pease doors
and sidelights, but I think we could have got the rims on their own if
we had wanted (although in our case not only were some of the rims
cracked, but the glass units had leaked and no longer had the required
insulating properties). We ordered the replacements from Pease, but they
were drop-shipped from ODL in Zeeland, MI; maybe you could try the
latter:
www.odl.com.

Keep in mind that you'll need to know not only the height and width but
also the thickness of the glass; our new glass units are thicker than
the old ones, so the rims are thinner; it's *possible* that only the
thicker glass units (better insulation) are made these days and that
you'll have to replace both rims and glass.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

do yo know the door manufacturer? they are probably the only ones that
can help unless you are willing to enlarge the hole and put in a
different one.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Does anyone have past success with replacing the molding around a glass
insert in a steel front door? For months, I have tried calling door
companies, carpenters, door installers, etc. and have yet to find
anyone who has successfully replaced their cracked vinyl molding
without having to buy a new door! Your help will be greatly
appreciated. This is a first for me to attempt using the internet to
request help/information. Bear with me as I learn how this works!!
Jean in Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have past success with replacing the molding around a glass
insert in a steel front door? For months, I have tried calling door
companies, carpenters, door installers, etc. and have yet to find
anyone who has successfully replaced their cracked vinyl molding
without having to buy a new door! Your help will be greatly
appreciated. This is a first for me to attempt using the internet to
request help/information. Bear with me as I learn how this works!!
Jean in Texas

It is no different than replacing any other type of trim with
certain exceptions. It is going against glass so you must be
careful with your fasteners. Second, it is going to be
installed in a steel door and against glass, which means you
have 3 disimilar materials which all expand and contract at
different rates. (I am making some assumptions here based on
your questions.)

Any good trim carpenter should be able to do this for you.
They will not use plastic for replacement, it will have to be
wood. If your insert is oval it will be more difficult than
square, but easily doable.

I suggest you contact a good millworks or trim company in your
area. They should be able to help you. I have done this many
times and it is fairly simple. Making the trim profile
choices is harder than the actual work of installing them.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

How to Tighten Front Door Mathussic Home Repair 3 March 13th 06 10:16 PM
slamming front door. EL4 Home Repair 11 October 17th 05 12:19 PM
Installing Storm Door with incomplete Brick Molding Drew_Y Woodworking 2 September 23rd 05 11:45 AM
sticking glass panel to oven door Ian McFarlane UK diy 10 July 5th 04 04:39 PM