Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing old flooring

I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old floor
is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off from
the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult getting
putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how to get the
remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the wallpaper stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stonecreek" wrote in message
I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old
floor is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off
from the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult
getting putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how
to get the remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the
wallpaper stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I just had teh same problem! I used a heat gun that I bought at Lowes. I
don't know what it is really used for, but it's like an warp speed blow
dryer. It softened the stuff right up. I tried some chemical stuff but the
smell was over powering even with all the windows and the garage door open.
I had to leave the house for a few hours. Besides the smell, it didn't
work. Why don't you try a regular blow dryer on a piece. If it works, go
get a heat gun for less that $40.00. It gets REALLY hot!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stonecreek" writes:

I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old floor
is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off from
the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult getting
putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how to get the
remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the wallpaper stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

Heat is an excellent suggestion.

And a better tool:

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"stonecreek" writes:

I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old
floor
is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off from
the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult getting
putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how to get
the
remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the wallpaper
stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

Heat is an excellent suggestion.

Keep a 5 or 10 pound co2 extinguisher, and maybe even one of those fireproof
rags plumbers use, handy as you do this. DAMHIKT. Basically, the same safety
precautions as using a torch.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Sep 2006 21:50:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Todd H.) quickly quoth:

"stonecreek" writes:

I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old floor
is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off from
the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult getting
putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how to get the
remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the wallpaper stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

Heat is an excellent suggestion.

$19.99 on sale now
Heat gun kit with scrapers, extra nozzle shapes, and plastic case.
VERY handy. My gun from HF is now over 20 years old and still going
strong.

$9.99 on sale now

And a better tool:

I wish I'd seen those large scrapers prior to refinishing my shop
floor while prepping it for painting. It had been a converted bedroom
and I had to manually scrape all the carpet adhesives off with a
5-in-1 tool and my urethane carving mallet. That mallet sure saved my
wrists, though...

--
Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom.
--Chinese Proverb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:56:41 -0400, "stonecreek"
wrote:

I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old floor
is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off from
the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult getting
putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how to get the
remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the wallpaper stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Borrow somebody's jack-plane.
Or use a wide chisel and just pare it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:16:24 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Goedjn quickly quoth:

wrote:

I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old floor
is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off from
the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult getting
putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how to get the
remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the wallpaper stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Borrow somebody's jack-plane.

For work on a floor? Remind me NEVER to loan you tools, ya heathen!

--
Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom.
--Chinese Proverb
----
www.diversify.com - Your Wise & Willing Website Wonk

Removing and reusing Laminate Wood Flooring [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 6th 06 08:34 AM
New bamboo flooring manufacturer from China [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 2nd 06 08:30 AM
Home Depot Flooring Geoff Woodworking 13 June 8th 05 09:23 PM
HARDWOOD FLOOR - removing from groove side Josue Home Ownership 1 March 17th 04 03:53 PM
Removing glued down vinyl flooring from concrete? Chris Wilson UK diy 2 July 10th 03 11:01 AM