Geoff

Default Home Depot Flooring

I decided to replace my carpet with hardwood flooring. Went down to Home
Deport, selected the floor, they special ordered and delivered it. So far,
so good, the day of the installation comes and the flooring company starts
pulling up the carpet. The 3 guys doing it said they can see dog urine on
the carpet but, as a special favor, they will pull it up anyway but not haul
it off to the dump.

What they reported back to their flooring company is the carpet was soaked
in dog urine and therefore they can not haul it off. After many phone calls
and a lot of wasted time, the carpet is pulled and hauled off.

The flooring material selected could not be guaranteed because the plywood
floor has leveling issues. They said I should get nail down flooring.

It seems to me a big step was skipped here. I mean Home Depot accepted my
money and someone in the process, one of the people that came out to the
house, should have said, 'we can't do this job, we detected dog urine . . .'
or whatever. Secondly, for the type of wood selected, they must have known
of its shortcomings which requires a perfectly level floor (maybe a floor
with cement board).

When I bought the flooring but before signing, I very specifically asked
about shortcomings and installation problems. They said they knew of none.
So, I guess no house in my area has had a dog pee on the carpet and all
houses have been levelled perfectly except mine. Seems ridiculous to me.

If this policy was rigorously enforced, I doubt there would be very many
floor installations. I'm waiting to see what Home Depot does, like try to
charge me a restocking fee, etc.

At this point tho, they seem eager to take my money then take the word of
others that the job cannot be done.

-g

Edwin Pawlowski

"Geoff" wrote in message
I decided to replace my carpet with hardwood flooring. Went down to Home
Deport,

OK, I see the problem. There are thousands of good, reliable, knowledgeable
floor products dealers in the country. Use one of them.

Robatoy

In article t,
"Geoff" wrote:

LOL.. Edwin already nailed it:

I decided to replace my carpet with hardwood flooring. Went down to Home
Deport, selected the floor, they special ordered and delivered it.

First mistake. The rest of his advice is precisely what I suggest to my
customers. Flooring guys do floors. Window guys do windows.
(That in itself doesn't protect you from shysters, so you still need to
do some homework and check them out)

Edwin has it dead on.

I recently bought (thank god not had installed) kitchen cabinets and some
flooring tile from them.

1 cabinet was back ordered for over 2 months and worse they kept saying they
would get it to me.
This caused me to schedule the counter people then reschedule them when the
cabinet didn't show.
Had to go through that 3 times.

I bought some off the shelf decorative tile strips from them. But they
didn't have enough so I did a will call.
Paid for them up front. When they came in they sold them to someone. Had a
discussion w/the manager
and she did special order them on HD's nickel but that was another week of
delay. To be fair that delay
didn't actually cause any overall delay in the remodel.

Those two incidents were enough for me never to buy anything serious from
them again.

Incidentally the only other hardware/lumber place near here is a Dixieline.
Putting in a range hood I needed
a 7" stovepipe elbow. About as common an item as you could want. Well HD
was out of them of course so
I went down to the Dixieline. Had everything I needed. I've been going
there for sundries since then and have
yet to be disappointed.

But as Edwin mentioned there are plenty of places that specialize in
flooring, cabinets, whatever. Yes you will
pay a bit more but you will save more than that in lack of hassle.

ml
Patrick Conroy

"Geoff" wrote in
k.net:

I decided to replace my carpet with hardwood flooring. Went down to
Home Deport, selected the floor, they special ordered and delivered

1) Sorry about your experience.
2) Was thinking about using the BORG for our hardwood flooring. We don't
have a dog, and our floors are pretty level but will now rethink that.

I guess I figured that since HD/Lowe's contracted out the installation, it
would be a crap shoot and likely a "lowest bidder" that showed up.

Dom

I had my two bathroom floors done by Lowes (sheet linoleum). They had
a guy come out to measure and look at the existing floors. Ok...no
problem raised. The following week the guys come out to install the
new linoleum and they told me they can't do it because both bathrooms
need a new subfloor and they didn't have the hardware to do the job.

Lowes made good on it with little hassle by giving me the subflooring
for free. No additional cost than the original estimate since their
guy made the error.

I was quite pleased and would do business with them again.

I haven't heard a single good Home Depot story when something goes
unexpected.

Dom

*HMFIC@1369*

Gee I have had 4 dogs over the years and funny none ever ****ed in the house
with the exception of a white german shepard when she passed away from old
age, her bladder let loose.

I think your rug speaks for itself and gives the correct picture of the
situation. Just wouldn't blame Home Depot either.

"Geoff" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

..'
or whatever. Secondly, for the type of wood selected, they must have

known
of its shortcomings which requires a perfectly level floor (maybe a floor
with cement board).

When I bought the flooring but before signing, I very specifically asked
about shortcomings and installation problems. They said they knew of

none.
So, I guess no house in my area has had a dog pee on the carpet and all
houses have been levelled perfectly except mine. Seems ridiculous to me.

If this policy was rigorously enforced, I doubt there would be very many
floor installations. I'm waiting to see what Home Depot does, like try to
charge me a restocking fee, etc.

At this point tho, they seem eager to take my money then take the word of
others that the job cannot be done.

-g

homeee

Had HD install a new ceramic kitchen floor.... they worked quick and
efficient. I'm happy with the true and level of the job. Couldn't do a
better job myself and they even saved me $328.00 dollars....

Personally, I'd be embarrassed. The urine stained carpet is basically
contaminated waste. I'd tell you what you could do with it!!!

See the Reason Home Depot accepted your money is based on normalcy. Most
American Homes don't have urine stained carpets in they're homes and if they
did for the most part the stench would cause the homeowner to either shoot
the dog or give it away to someone who could properly care for it, and
replace the rug!!!! (themselves)

"Geoff" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

homeee

The HD contract for my ceramic kitchen flooring includes that the installer
is required to install the subfloor. The installers should have prepared for
that. Especially in a bath!!! Regarding my installation they brought 1/4 and
1/2 backerboard. I've used both Lowes and HD with no problems, I prefer
Lowes for my lumber and HD for my flooring. Tools either since they carry
both comparative and competative tools. The wife likes Lowes because it's
clean, but in instances have found "some" people at HD a little more helpful
and knowledgeable.

I went to Lowes in Nyack, NY and as soon as we walked into the Kitchen
Cabinets, the woman didn't even look up from her desk or as me a question.
She blurted out, she was busy and I must make an appointment to see her.
Since we were just looking, we figured screw her. Home Expo would get are
business... and 20K later they did!

"Dom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had my two bathroom floors done by Lowes (sheet linoleum). They had
a guy come out to measure and look at the existing floors. Ok...no
problem raised. The following week the guys come out to install the
new linoleum and they told me they can't do it because both bathrooms
need a new subfloor and they didn't have the hardware to do the job.

Lowes made good on it with little hassle by giving me the subflooring
for free. No additional cost than the original estimate since their
guy made the error.

I was quite pleased and would do business with them again.

I haven't heard a single good Home Depot story when something goes
unexpected.

Dom

Junior Member

I know some people who own a flooring store (Mom and Pop). They have had installers call them to ask how to install a particular product or technique.

ATP*

"*HMFIC@1369*" My wrote in message
Gee I have had 4 dogs over the years and funny none ever ****ed in the
house
with the exception of a white german shepard when she passed away from old
age, her bladder let loose.

I think your rug speaks for itself and gives the correct picture of the
situation. Just wouldn't blame Home Depot either.

The OP figured the installers should just load up his urine-soaked carpet in
their work truck, no problem.

"Geoff" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

.'
or whatever. Secondly, for the type of wood selected, they must have

known
of its shortcomings which requires a perfectly level floor (maybe a floor
with cement board).

When I bought the flooring but before signing, I very specifically asked
about shortcomings and installation problems. They said they knew of

none.
So, I guess no house in my area has had a dog pee on the carpet and all
houses have been levelled perfectly except mine. Seems ridiculous to me.

If this policy was rigorously enforced, I doubt there would be very many
floor installations. I'm waiting to see what Home Depot does, like try
charge me a restocking fee, etc.

At this point tho, they seem eager to take my money then take the word of
others that the job cannot be done.

-g

Patrick Conroy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
m:

dog that did it. Or the previous owner.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh nuts...
Sorry 'bout that Ed...
I have this tendency to sleep walk, you see... ;-