Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Josue

Default HARDWOOD FLOOR - removing from groove side

Anyone have any experience/advice in removing hardwood flooring from
the groove side?

My situation is this: I have a gap in my existing hardwood floor left
from a hole I knocked in the wall between my dining room and living rm
(6' wide). The flooring is running parallel to the wall I knocked out
and was started at that wall, therefore I have the groove side exposed
now. I'm thinking about cutting out into the existing flooring (about
10 boards into it) and filling with a lighter wood to create an inlay.

What I need to know is - will it be possible to remove sections
without damaging the next section attached to it? Once I've sawn
through each board on either end of the section I want to remove, I
would think I could lift it with a wonderbar (I'm not concerned with
saving the wood I'm removing). Any suggestions would greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Josh
james b

What I need to know is - will it be possible to remove sections
without damaging the next section attached to it? Once I've sawn
through each board on either end of the section I want to remove, I
would think I could lift it with a wonderbar (I'm not concerned with
saving the wood I'm removing). Any suggestions would greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Josh

After you pull up the first nine or so boards, you might be able to
lift up the last row and work a long flexible sawzall blade under the
joint. If you cut through the nails that go through the tongue of
this last row you can likely slide the last row away. If you have to
pry a little, slide a knife blade into the top side gap between the
last board and the one you want to pry out, then pry against the knife
blade so you don't ding up the remaining board.

- James B