Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

Default Constant-temperature dehumidification

wrote:

Joe Fischer wrote:

If... the indoor temp is 40 degrees F, and RH is 50 percent,
how much water would I need to add if I raise the air temp
to 70 F and want 50 percent RH.

Good question. And your answer?

And your point?

Still waiting...

Nick

Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wmbjk wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:20:06 -0400, Joe Fischer
wrote:

On Fri, wmbjk wrote:

No, I don't believe it, and neither would any logical person. Of
course if you can deny the well-established cause of the common
cold, then I suppose you won't have any trouble denying that you're
illogical as well.

Maybe you can tell us how many different bacterial
and viral diseases go by the name "common cold".

Why would I do that? Any web search you do will show that there are
hundreds, but that none are called "dry nose" or whatever.

If you premise were correct, if nobody got a cold
all summer, then there would be no cold germs around.

No, that doesn't follow at all. Being exposed to a virus doesn't mean
you'll catch a cold. Yet it's both easy to come into contact with a
virus, and difficult for the virus to take hold. You can dramatically
increase the odds of avoiding affliction by using common sense, such
as hand washing before putting your hands near your face after
visiting a crowded store full of kiddies for example.

I see you claim as requiring that the total reservoir
of cold germs are in the nasal passages and airways of
humans.

I'm getting that you see the facts however you like.

I have to think the germs are more widespread than
that, and exist with or without humans.

How would that help rationalize your belief that colds aren't always
caused by "germs"?

The link you provided seems to say that colds are
the result of the germs overwhelming the immune system,
and that it is possible for a person to be exposed and still
ward off the bad cold.

Of course. And IIRC, if one has already been exposed to a particular
virus, then one is unlikely to develop a cold from further exposure to
the same virus.

Are you claiming that a person gets a cold just
because they come in contact with somebody with a cold,
and never get a cold otherwise?

I'm not claiming anything, just telling you the facts.
You can't catch a cold without being exposed to a virus.

And the evidence for that last is that those who 'live' in isolated
environments like lighthouses etc dont ever get colds regardless
of what the room humidity is, because there are no viruses around.

Its less clear scientifically whether the room humidity has any effect
on the infection rate when there are viruses around. Its unlikely in
my opinion and the most likely reason why so many older people
dont get colds anymore is likely just because they are immune to
the vast bulk of cold seen, just because they have had so much
more exposure to them than say kids ever get, just due to the
vastly higher number of years of exposure to them and the fact that
its been carefully established that there are so many strains extant.

An interesting study (can't remember where I read it), showed a strong
correlation between elderly catching colds/flu and visits from grade-school
children. Those visited by adults caught fewer colds than those visited by
children. Presumably the children are great 'carriers' of the viruses/germs
that cause colds/flu. (or colds aren't really caused by viruses, they are
caused by children :-) )

daestrom

Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:07:43 GMT, "daestrom"
wrote:

An interesting study (can't remember where I read it), showed a strong
correlation between elderly catching colds/flu and visits from grade-school
children. Those visited by adults caught fewer colds than those visited by
children. Presumably the children are great 'carriers' of the viruses/germs
that cause colds/flu. (or colds aren't really caused by viruses, they are
caused by children :-) )

Another study followed transmission (bacteria IIRC) between
kindergartners in class. Summary - if a dab of peanut butter is put
under a classroom chair leg, five minutes later every kid in the class
will have some peanut butter on them. I think that anybody who's
worked with roofing tar can relate. :-)

Wayne
Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

That argument can go on infinitum but since they are all only theories
and nobody can actually prove them, there are many other "germ"
theories out there, including the one Pasteur (inventor of our modern
day "germ theory") went to his death bed with, that there is no "germ"
outside the human body and they are all constantly within and brought
forth by triggering substances.

I believe the culture dish and molds from nothing had something to do
with the change in his lifelong theories.

"wmbjk" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:57:18 GMT, "daestrom"
wrote:

"wmbjk" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:16:07 -0400, Joe Fischer
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:43:59 GMT, wmbjk
wrote:

close contact with others who
have colds.

Bingo. Forget the other stuff.

Sorry, Doctor, there may be colds that are "caught",
but mine come from inflamed sinus irritated by dry air.

No, that's just what you *believe*.

You need to do some reading before spreading old-wives' tales.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

Glad you have such faith in articles written
by just anybody who wants to write or modify them.

sigh
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/com...056/DSECTION=3
Although I predict that you won't believe the Mayo Clinic either.
The
fact is that the cause of the common cold has been known for a
long
time. Unfortunately, a lot of people insist on spreading nonsense
instead.

Well of course colds are caused by virsuses (virii??). But if
someone's
natural defenses are weakened, doesn't that make them more
susceptable to
infection? If your sinuses are cracked and bleeding, isn't it more
likely
you will 'catch' one of those viruses floating around in a closed
space?

The nasal passages are our first line of defense against such
airborne
infection. If some folks sinuses are particularly sensitive to
drying, it
seems quite logical that airborne infections have a better chance of
taking
hold in the body and causing illness.

From your article by the Mayo Clinic, on 'risk factors' :
"Some researchers theorize that cold constricts blood vessels in the
nose,
slowing the white cells that fight infection and disrupting the
first-line
defense against germs. "

This supports the belief that your nose is the 'first-line defense
against
germs'. So doing something to keep from degrading its ability seems
only
natural.

Sure, but he's claiming that he can get a cold by (effectively)
weakened defenses alone, as in, without a virus being present to
defend against. That's pretty much the same as the old-wives tale
about wet hair causing colds.

Wayne

Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

Solar Flare wrote

That argument can go on infinitum but since they are all only theories and nobody can actually
prove them,

Mindless stuff, plenty have been very comprehensively proven.

there are many other "germ" theories out there, including the one Pasteur (inventor of our modern
day "germ theory") went to his death bed with, that there is no "germ" outside the human body and
they are all constantly within and brought forth by triggering substances.

Mindlessly silly, most obviously with culture dishes.

wrote:

[...]

From your article by the Mayo Clinic, on 'risk factors' :
"Some researchers theorize that cold constricts blood vessels in the
nose,
slowing the white cells that fight infection and disrupting the
first-line
defense against germs. "

This supports the belief that your nose is the 'first-line defense
against
germs'. So doing something to keep from degrading its ability seems
only
natural.

Sure, but he's claiming that he can get a cold by (effectively)
weakened defenses alone, as in, without a virus being present to
defend against. That's pretty much the same as the old-wives tale
about wet hair causing colds.

Wayne

Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

Solar Flare wrote

Cites?

Chase them up for yourself, start with cholera.

Dont need a cite for the obvious fact that culture dishes prove
that the germs cultured clearly do grow outside the body, stupid.

Rod Speed wrote
Solar Flare wrote

wrote:

[...]

From your article by the Mayo Clinic, on 'risk factors' :
"Some researchers theorize that cold constricts blood vessels in
the
nose,
slowing the white cells that fight infection and disrupting the
first-line
defense against germs. "

This supports the belief that your nose is the 'first-line
defense
against
germs'. So doing something to keep from degrading its ability
seems
only
natural.

Sure, but he's claiming that he can get a cold by (effectively)
weakened defenses alone, as in, without a virus being present to
defend against. That's pretty much the same as the old-wives tale
about wet hair causing colds.

Wayne

Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

So stupid that it cant even manage to work out that culture
plates prove that germs grow outside the body either.

wrote:

[...]

From your article by the Mayo Clinic, on 'risk factors' :