Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

Default Constant-temperature dehumidification

Joe Fischer errs again:

Yesterday and today I had to run both heat and
AC, that is the only way to deal with the exceptional
high humidity both days.

No. It would be more energy-efficient to run a dehumidifier when
you need heat and an AC when you need cooling,

The temperature was ok, I don't have a dehumidifier,

Put one $80 AC in a window and one in the house. Wire the window AC to
the close-on-rise contact of Grainger's $16 2E158 SPDT thermostat and
the other to the close-on-fall contact. Run the common contact to
Grainger's $31 2E453 (Autoflo 052000) humidistat.

and warming the air lowers humidity more efficiently than a dehumidifier.

Warming air lowers the RH, but it doesn't remove any water vapor.

I run a humidifier anytime the outdoor temperature
is below 40 degrees...

Your house needs air sealing.

moist air feels warmer than dry, and
a steam humidifier is efficient use of heat.

Winter humidification uses about 10X more heat energy than it can save.

It is rare to have 90 percent humidity in the house,
and the quickest way to reduce it to improve breathing
is likely the most efficient.

Hey, a new rule of thumb: "the quickest way is the most efficient" :-)

Nick