Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get minor carpentry repairs done to my house?

I am a new house owner (a condo convert) and I have 1910 Craftsmen in
Seattle. Some of the timbers on the railings on the front porch are
starting to rot. They are custom pieces of wood - not something I'd be
able to pick up from Home Depot.

I was wondering what sort of tradesman to contact to get them replaced?
Any personal recommendations would be even better.

Any help for this rookie greatly appreciated.

Ian.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a new house owner (a condo convert) and I have 1910 Craftsmen in
Seattle. Some of the timbers on the railings on the front porch are
starting to rot. They are custom pieces of wood - not something I'd be
able to pick up from Home Depot.

I was wondering what sort of tradesman to contact to get them replaced?
Any personal recommendations would be even better.

You need a carpenter or knowledgeable handyman. Go to the nearest
lumberyard. Ask around. At many of the lumberyards, they have a spot for
the tradesmen that buy from the to place their business cards. Take down
the names of a couple and give them a call. You may even run into one while
there picking up his material for a job he is doing now and you can ask if
it is something that he can do.

Recommendations from neighbors also works. .