Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

Default How to get minor carpentry repairs done to my house?

wrote in
oups.com:

I am a new house owner (a condo convert) and I have 1910 Craftsmen in
Seattle. Some of the timbers on the railings on the front porch are
starting to rot. They are custom pieces of wood - not something I'd be
able to pick up from Home Depot.

I was wondering what sort of tradesman to contact to get them replaced?
Any personal recommendations would be even better.

Any help for this rookie greatly appreciated.

I just had some work done in my 1903 house. I searched the yellow pages
and internet for "millwork", "woodwork", and "carpentry" and found a
company in my area that did custom jobs. They already had the profile of
my casings and, with it being a custom run, I had to order a minimum of
40', but that was not a problem. They did not have a profile that matched
my 7.5" baseboard, so I gave them a sample and they were able to reproduce
it beautifully. Finally, I asked them for recommendations for installers,
and they gave me the name of a local guy, who ended up installing
everything and doing a fantastic job.

Good luck, Dee