Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get minor carpentry repairs done to my house?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a new house owner (a condo convert) and I have 1910 Craftsmen in
Seattle. Some of the timbers on the railings on the front porch are
starting to rot. They are custom pieces of wood - not something I'd be
able to pick up from Home Depot.

I was wondering what sort of tradesman to contact to get them replaced?
Any personal recommendations would be even better.

You need a carpenter or knowledgeable handyman. Go to the nearest
lumberyard. Ask around. At many of the lumberyards, they have a spot for
the tradesmen that buy from the to place their business cards. Take down
the names of a couple and give them a call. You may even run into one while
there picking up his material for a job he is doing now and you can ask if
it is something that he can do.

Recommendations from neighbors also works. .