Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 4 windows or more?

This past early summer I had 4 double hung windows at about $500 each (
triple pane ) installed. Unbeknownst to me at that time, one of my rear
windows with turn latches ( i don't know what they are called ) they
have on each side, a latch that you turn to open and close. Well, it
turns out that they may need to be replaced...but so far, most companys
demand a minium of 5, some may come down to 4. I do not have any more
windows. Does anyone know how I can get one? I don't know if I want the
exact type to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you say warranty, use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 17 Sep 2006 12:47:04 -0700, "Anthona" wrote:

This past early summer I had 4 double hung windows at about $500 each (
triple pane ) installed. Unbeknownst to me at that time, one of my rear
windows with turn latches ( i don't know what they are called ) they
have on each side, a latch that you turn to open and close.

Do you mean a *crank* you turn?

If it is a casement window, the crank is at the bottom and the latch
is at the side half way up.

Well, it
turns out that they may need to be replaced

Do you mean *it* instead of "they"?

What's wrong with it? The crank and latch are replaceable without
replacing the window.

...but so far, most companys
demand a minium of 5, some may come down to 4. I do not have any more
windows. Does anyone know how I can get one? I don't know if I want the
exact type to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wow, I have never seen a company that wouldn't do just 1 if you wanted
them too. competition must be pretty sparce out your way for
installers, maybe it would be a good buisness to get into.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Anthona wrote:
This past early summer I had 4 double hung windows at about $500 each (
triple pane ) installed. Unbeknownst to me at that time, one of my rear
windows with turn latches ( i don't know what they are called ) they
have on each side, a latch that you turn to open and close. Well, it
turns out that they may need to be replaced...but so far, most companys
demand a minium of 5, some may come down to 4. I do not have any more
windows. Does anyone know how I can get one? I don't know if I want the
exact type to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Yes, couldn't think of the name..crank it is. I oiled it and there is a
slight improvement, but I believe the main problem is that when I had
the window opened this summer, closing the crank and lock it in place,
there was no force behind it, so the 2 'hooks' or whatever they are
callled could not make contact for the slot. Fortunately, on the first
floor, I was able to go outside and push it closer and then those
'hooks' locked. I hate to think I have to do that all the time just to
lock it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 18 Sep 2006 06:30:46 -0700, "Anthona" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Tbat's a symptom more than a problem. I don't think you know what the
problem is. Did you oil the hinges too, and spray silicone lube on
any of the parts that slide together?

Did you oil all the parts that rub together in the crank mehcanism, or
only the crank shaft itself?

If the crank is binding even after it has been lubed inthe right
places, it can be replaced.

When people say windows need replacing, it is normally because the
frames are falling apart, not because the mechanism etc. need
lubrication, which sounds to me like your problem.

callled could not make contact for the slot. Fortunately, on the first
floor, I was able to go outside and push it closer and then those
'hooks' locked. I hate to think I have to do that all the time just to
lock it.

Unless you lock the window every time you go out, that doesn't seem
like a big problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Thank u...when I said oiled the crank, I meant the mechanism of it, not
the handle. It turned out, that just outside the frame on the brick
side, protruded a section with a screw that had loosen. I tighten it
and now all is well

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

mm wrote:
[...]

You're welcome.

when I said oiled the crank, I meant the mechanism of it, not
the handle. It turned out, that just outside the frame on the brick
side, protruded a section with a screw that had loosen. I tighten it
and now all is well

Hahahahaahaha. I know this group does both, but I find repair so much
more satisfy9ing than replace.

Hurricane Windows - my story - what would you do? [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 13th 06 10:36 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Repair 15 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM