Posted to alt.home.repair

Default There's NO Fire !!!!!

I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I
donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some
people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If
it was burning there would be flames.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I
donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some
people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If
it was burning there would be flames.

Mark

What is happening with that tungsten element? It is heated to the point it
glows and then burns through doesn't it? You do not need huge flames to be
burning. In the enclosure, it burns very slow compared to a bulb with no
glass where it burns out in seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Exactly , what is a glow, is it not a flame, cant see the problem with
the term burnin... sorry

Posted to alt.home.repair

you need to get used to other peoples terminology, it's just a language
thing.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I
donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some
people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If
it was burning there would be flames.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning.
Mark

Is your refrigerator running?

Well, you better go chase it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Something else that isn't burning: spicy food.

Mark

Well, maybe on the second day on its way out .............. I guess you
could call that a sensation, but it sure seems like "burning" to me.
Although, come to think of it, I have never seen flames or smoke. Just felt
like it ..........

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wait while I get my beer out of the Ice box and Dial a friend on the
telephone, Gee when is the last time your phone had a dial, but you
Dial a number don`t you, hers your sign.

Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:
Another odd one regarding lights, at least here in western PA, is turn out
the light. Out??!!? Maybe a throw-back to gas lights?

hey I am from pittsburgh really n hills near ross park mall////////

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:59:34 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Something else that isn't burning: spicy food.

Mark

Well, maybe on the second day on its way out .............. I guess you
could call that a sensation, but it sure seems like "burning" to me.
Although, come to think of it, I have never seen flames or smoke. Just felt
like it ..........

Steve ;-)

According to what I've heard, spicy food stimulates your sensory
nerves the same way fire would. This produces a burning sensation
without actually burning.

BTW, got any idea what temperature your tongue would have to reach
before it would actually burn? You may not want to try that experiment
;-)

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:40:37 GMT, wrote:

It's probably a holdover from when lights actually were burning -
first candles, and then gas or kerosene.

Before candles, olive oil with a wick.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:03:41 GMT, Rich256 wrote:

wrote:
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I
donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some
people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If
it was burning there would be flames.

Mark

And

Engines are "running" (what are they doing?).

People are "flying"

They're worrying about security measures (I wish that one deserved a
smiley).

etc, etc.

And now that it has been found that a light bulb is a "dark Sucker" so I
suppose we should say the bulb is "sucking".

http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/science/darksucker.html

The same way, bells are silence suckers.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Something else that isn't burning: spicy food.

Mark

Well, maybe on the second day on its way out .............. I guess you
could call that a sensation, but it sure seems like "burning" to me.
Although, come to think of it, I have never seen flames or smoke. Just
felt
like it ..........

Steve ;-)

According to what I've heard, spicy food stimulates your sensory
nerves the same way fire would. This produces a burning sensation
without actually burning.

BTW, got any idea what temperature your tongue would have to reach
before it would actually burn? You may not want to try that experiment
;-)

Mark Lloyd

There's a scale that is used for rating hot things. Like spicy foods, and
pepper spray. It is SHU, meaning S(can't remember the name) Heat Units.
Maybe Scoville, but don't hold my feet to the fire, just guessing.

Jalepenos are like 40,000 to 60,000 and habanero and Scotch Bonnets are like
300,000.

And every can of pepper spray you buy has a SHU rating.

How do they figure that out?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
Another odd one regarding lights, at least here in western PA, is turn out
the light. Out??!!? Maybe a throw-back to gas lights?

How do you explain "close the light", often heard in some Philly
neighborhoods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:15:50 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning.
Mark

Is your refrigerator running?

Well, you better go chase it.

Steve

This just isn't my day. I went to the fridge to get a beer and found
the fridge was running. I chased it for several miles but it got
away. I finally got back home and found the toilet was running.
Chased that damn thing for over an hour and got all muddy in the
process, but never caught the toilet. Got back home and wanted to
take a bath. Guess what, the tub was running. I let it run, the hell
with it. Thank God beds dont run..... Goodnight !!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:21:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I wondered the same thing. I was at a spice shop once and they had
all these bulk spices. They had Cayenne pepper and it was rated like
you say. I have used the store bought variety all my life, but when I
bought some of their strongest, it knocked my socks off. Damnit, now
I lost my socks too......
I believe that Cayenne was 120,000. YIKES !!!!!!

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
Another odd one regarding lights, at least here in western PA, is turn out
the light. Out??!!? Maybe a throw-back to gas lights?

How do you explain "close the light", often heard in some Philly
neighborhoods.

"light" is still occasionally used as a synonym for "window", it was
much more common in the past.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwasserm(@)charm(.)net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

You never burned your fingers on a HOT PEPPER?
I got 3rd degree burns..... LOL.

A friend at a plant I worked at had a problem. There was a fridge where
everyone could put their lunch. Someone was digging in the lunches, and
taking sips out of other's soda bottles.

He put some Scotch Bonnet pepper around the lip of a soda bottle and put it
in the fridge. Later that day, the culprit actually had blisters on his
lips.

He also got a free can of Whupass.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
How do you explain "close the light", often heard in some Philly
neighborhoods.

"light" is still occasionally used as a synonym for "window", it was
much more common in the past.

Wow, after hearing my MIL use that term for 40 years, it finally makes some
sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski posted for all of us...

wrote in message
How do you explain "close the light", often heard in some Philly
neighborhoods.

"light" is still occasionally used as a synonym for "window", it was
much more common in the past.

Wow, after hearing my MIL use that term for 40 years, it finally makes some
sense.

awwww dose dum dutchies!
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."
Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:

Wait while I get my beer out of the Ice box and Dial a friend on the
telephone,

I have a rotary cell phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FYI: The tungsten does not burn.

It glows because it is really hot. Eventually enough of it evaporates
into the gas in the bulb so that one part heats even hotter. It then
melts, boils and causes a break.

RickR

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I
donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some
people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If
it was burning there would be flames.

Mark

What is happening with that tungsten element? It is heated to the point it
glows and then burns through doesn't it? You do not need huge flames to be
burning. In the enclosure, it burns very slow compared to a bulb with no
glass where it burns out in seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2006 14:29:19 -0700, "RickR" wrote:

FYI: The tungsten does not burn.

It can't burn with no oxygen in the bulb.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I
donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some
people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If
it was burning there would be flames.

Mark

What is happening with that tungsten element? It is heated to the point it
glows and then burns through doesn't it? You do not need huge flames to be
burning. In the enclosure, it burns very slow compared to a bulb with no
glass where it burns out in seconds.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2006 14:29:19 -0700, "RickR" wrote:

FYI: The tungsten does not burn.

It glows because it is really hot. Eventually enough of it evaporates
into the gas in the bulb so that one part heats even hotter. It then
melts, boils and causes a break.

RickR

You mean if I twisted the two pieces back together I could repair the
bulb? I always wanted to do that. I spend way too much on lightbulbs
each year.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON.
It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone
told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I
donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some
people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If
it was burning there would be flames.

Mark

What is happening with that tungsten element? It is heated to the point it
glows and then burns through doesn't it? You do not need huge flames to be
burning. In the enclosure, it burns very slow compared to a bulb with no
glass where it burns out in seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:30:11 -0500, wrote:

On 19 Sep 2006 14:29:19 -0700, "RickR" wrote:

FYI: The tungsten does not burn.

It glows because it is really hot. Eventually enough of it evaporates
into the gas in the bulb so that one part heats even hotter. It then
melts, boils and causes a break.

RickR

You mean if I twisted the two pieces back together I could repair the
bulb? I always wanted to do that. I spend way too much on lightbulbs
each year.

I think you can do that, but then you need to remove all the air from
the bulb and seal it.

Actually, some bulbs seem to fix themselves. I've seen it
occasionally, mostly in C9 holiday lights. There is life after death,
at least for those light bulbs. The light will be brighter after
self-repair, since the filament is shorter now and so has lower
resistance (notice that it's whiter too, because of the higher
temperature). It goes out again quickly. That's how I know that if one
bulb in a group is brighter than the others, it's about to die again.