Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad smell - what could it be?

My house is approximately 1 year old and I had it built myself. I
hired all the subs to do the work. Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside. I thought a contractor may
have left me a "present" in a vent in that bathroom but the smell is
only noticeable when it rains. Can someone give me clue as what/where
this could be coming from? There's a pedestal sink and toilet in the
powder room. My HVAC & plumber contractor has gone belly-up so I
can't call him to come smell out the culprit.

Thanks,
tired-of-the-stink!

Posted to alt.home.repair

We had this same problem in our house -- yes, the smell is awful.
Turned out to be septic gases backing up. Our septic tank was full and
the gases had no where to go but back up into the bathroom. The vent in
the yard was blocked as well. After we had the tank pumped out - no
more problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside.

My wife complains of a similar problem, rain or shine. Seems to happen
about 6:30 every morning

Can someone give me clue as what/where
this could be coming from? There's a pedestal sink and toilet in the
powder room. My HVAC & plumber contractor has gone belly-up so I
can't call him to come smell out the culprit.

I'd still guess a blockage someplace. Traps should stop it, but if there is
a pressure buildup it may be possible to force some gasses through. Could
even be a combination of blocked vent and overfilled septic. Is it
possible that rain is getting into the septic system and overfilling it?

If you have town sewer, disregard suggestions above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:20:23 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside.

My wife complains of a similar problem, rain or shine. Seems to happen
about 6:30 every morning

And what time do you wake up?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:37:37 -0700, Abe wrote:

Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside.
My wife complains of a similar problem, rain or shine. Seems to happen
about 6:30 every morning

And what time do you wake up?

I would guess between 6:00 and 6:29

I thought he might say 7:00, but he never got that far.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:37:37 -0700, Abe wrote:

Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside.
My wife complains of a similar problem, rain or shine. Seems to happen
about 6:30 every morning

And what time do you wake up?

I would guess between 6:00 and 6:29

Stop eating beans before bed and you wont fart when you get out of
bed. The average man who eats beans before bed develops 150 to 220 lbs
of gas pressure while sleeping. Upon waking this is released.
Posted to alt.home.repair

if the vent is next to the room vent,maybe its coming down the room
vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

....and you know this how?

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:37:37 -0700, Abe wrote:

Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside.
My wife complains of a similar problem, rain or shine. Seems to happen
about 6:30 every morning
And what time do you wake up?

I would guess between 6:00 and 6:29

Stop eating beans before bed and you wont fart when you get out of
bed. The average man who eats beans before bed develops 150 to 220 lbs
of gas pressure while sleeping. Upon waking this is released.

Solution To Bad Smell In House - Feb 15 Post Scott Home Repair 1 September 10th 06 07:25 AM
Bad Smell In House Scott Home Repair 1 July 26th 06 09:20 AM
Should Gas Appliances Smell Like Anything? phaeton Home Repair 12 January 27th 06 07:21 PM
Replacement for space heater with burning smell [email protected] Home Repair 5 November 19th 05 02:02 PM
Replacement for space heater with burning smell [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 18th 05 06:46 PM