Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Bad smell - what could it be?

Todd H. wrote:
writes:

My house is approximately 1 year old and I had it built myself. I
hired all the subs to do the work. Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside. I thought a contractor may
have left me a "present" in a vent in that bathroom but the smell is
only noticeable when it rains.

Present could be in the stack pipe. Stack pipes are often straight
shots out open to the rain. Hop on the roof, hold your breath and
have a peek down.

But then again, if all your sinks and plumbing fixtures have P traps
and are vented to the stack no smell in teh stack should hit the
interior of the house. So much for that theory.

Hrmm.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Only smells when it rains? Very odd. What does it smell like?
Sewage/rotten eggs? Musty/moldy?

Sewer gas can back up if a sink or tub is not used often and water in
the trap dries up. Construction worker left his lunch on a rafter in
the attic?