Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad smell - what could it be?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Unfortunately, recently, I've
noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is
only noticeable if it is raining outside.

My wife complains of a similar problem, rain or shine. Seems to happen
about 6:30 every morning

Can someone give me clue as what/where
this could be coming from? There's a pedestal sink and toilet in the
powder room. My HVAC & plumber contractor has gone belly-up so I
can't call him to come smell out the culprit.

I'd still guess a blockage someplace. Traps should stop it, but if there is
a pressure buildup it may be possible to force some gasses through. Could
even be a combination of blocked vent and overfilled septic. Is it
possible that rain is getting into the septic system and overfilling it?

If you have town sewer, disregard suggestions above.