Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating a cavity on an overhang

Hi,

I have a 2 foot overhang on my house that I'm looking to insulate. The
overhang is about 12 feet wide and is on 2 x 12 joists spaced at 16 inch
centers. It has been stucco'd over the bottom, so I can't easily insulate
from the outside. There is an opening on each joist cavity in the basement
with about a 6 to 8 inch gap and I was looking at using some sort of
expanding spray foam.

My question is, are there any diy kits out there that will allow me to get a
nozzle into the cavity and fill with foam? Doing this much space won't be
cheap, so I would need a bulk kit of some sort.

I've googled a bit and only come up with companies that do the job for you.
I'm more than capable of doing the job myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phat Phuq wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2 foot overhang on my house that I'm looking to insulate. The
overhang is about 12 feet wide and is on 2 x 12 joists spaced at 16
inch centers. It has been stucco'd over the bottom, so I can't easily
insulate from the outside. There is an opening on each joist cavity
in the basement with about a 6 to 8 inch gap and I was looking at
using some sort of expanding spray foam.

My question is, are there any diy kits out there that will allow me
to get a nozzle into the cavity and fill with foam? Doing this much
space won't be cheap, so I would need a bulk kit of some sort.

I've googled a bit and only come up with companies that do the job
for you. I'm more than capable of doing the job myself.

I would suggest blowing in insulation. Foam will not only be more
expensive, but trying to do it yourself could end up blowing out the wall.
If not carefully done, the foam will expand beyond the space available and
something has to give.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had considered blown insulation, however, I suspect the floor above the
overhang doesn't have much of a vapor barrier above it and I need something
that would not only insulate but serve as a vapor barrier.
You might be thinking, "well just use a piece of styrospan along the floor,"
but I have doubts that I could get a 2 foot piece to fit between the joists
and seal it properly.

I'm still thinking expanding foam and doing the job in stages to minimize
any adverse expansion effects.

Any suggestions for diy products/vendors?

oups.com...

Phat Phuq wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2 foot overhang on my house that I'm looking to insulate. The
overhang is about 12 feet wide and is on 2 x 12 joists spaced at 16 inch
centers. It has been stucco'd over the bottom, so I can't easily insulate
from the outside. There is an opening on each joist cavity in the
basement
with about a 6 to 8 inch gap and I was looking at using some sort of
expanding spray foam.

My question is, are there any diy kits out there that will allow me to
get a
nozzle into the cavity and fill with foam? Doing this much space won't be
cheap, so I would need a bulk kit of some sort.

I've googled a bit and only come up with companies that do the job for
you.
I'm more than capable of doing the job myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:24:57 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Phat Phuq wrote:
[...]

Right, if you use foam, you want NON expanding foam, not
expanding foam. If it's sticky-foam, you should be able
to spray each cavity half-full, and come back and fill
the rest of the way once you know how much it's going
to grow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phat Phuq wrote:

I had considered blown insulation, however, I suspect the floor above the
overhang doesn't have much of a vapor barrier above it and I need something
that would not only insulate but serve as a vapor barrier.
You might be thinking, "well just use a piece of styrospan along the floor,"
but I have doubts that I could get a 2 foot piece to fit between the joists
and seal it properly.

I'm still thinking expanding foam and doing the job in stages to minimize
any adverse expansion effects.

Any suggestions for diy products/vendors?

If you want a bulk DIY foam thing, I recall a plastics vendor I used to
deal with carried something called a "froth pak" that was basically two
small tanks (like freon or consumer helium comes in) and a hose and
mixer gun assembly. The folks on Mythbusters seems to use the same
product from time to time. Presumably some net searching should find
better references to the stuff.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

My question is, are there any diy kits out there that will allow me to get a
nozzle into the cavity and fill with foam? Doing this much space won't be
cheap, so I would need a bulk kit of some sort.

I've googled a bit and only come up with companies that do the job for you.
I'm more than capable of doing the job myself.

Yep, try Tiger Foam:

http://www.tigerfoam.com/

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what I'm after... Thanks to all...

"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...

"handi foam" is another brand.

DT wrote:
My question is, are there any diy kits out there that will allow me to
get a
nozzle into the cavity and fill with foam? Doing this much space won't
be
cheap, so I would need a bulk kit of some sort.

I've googled a bit and only come up with companies that do the job for
you.
I'm more than capable of doing the job myself.

Yep, try Tiger Foam:

http://www.tigerfoam.com/

--
Dennis