Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Insulating a cavity on an overhang

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:24:57 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Phat Phuq wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2 foot overhang on my house that I'm looking to insulate. The
overhang is about 12 feet wide and is on 2 x 12 joists spaced at 16
inch centers. It has been stucco'd over the bottom, so I can't easily
insulate from the outside. There is an opening on each joist cavity
in the basement with about a 6 to 8 inch gap and I was looking at
using some sort of expanding spray foam.

My question is, are there any diy kits out there that will allow me
to get a nozzle into the cavity and fill with foam? Doing this much
space won't be cheap, so I would need a bulk kit of some sort.

I've googled a bit and only come up with companies that do the job
for you. I'm more than capable of doing the job myself.

I would suggest blowing in insulation. Foam will not only be more
expensive, but trying to do it yourself could end up blowing out the wall.
If not carefully done, the foam will expand beyond the space available and
something has to give.

Right, if you use foam, you want NON expanding foam, not
expanding foam. If it's sticky-foam, you should be able
to spray each cavity half-full, and come back and fill
the rest of the way once you know how much it's going
to grow.