Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating a house with wooden cladding and no cavity behind

Our bedroom faces south and the outer skin of the upper storey is made
up of dark stained horizontal wooden cladding apparently fixed to the
inner block skin by battens, probably no more than 1" thick. There is
no vapour barrier we can see and the temperature in the summer is
beyond words! The process must be that the dark wood absorbs solar
radiation and passes the stored heat to the block material, which then
kindly radiates into the bedroom. We are told that to insert a layer of
insulating material would require the entire cladding to be removed,
insulation material to be placed between battens, a vapour barrier to
be fixed over and then the cladding re-applied. I guess the other
alternative would be to apply dry lining board with polystyrene layer
to the inside walls. Anyone had experience like this? Any suggestions?
Any idea how much of a temperature reduction could be achieved by
either method?

We are in the south of England and our summers are becoming warmer and
longer so this is a problem we need to address.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Sep 2006 10:53:41 -0700, "peterc"
wrote:

[...]

You could also just add foam-board insulation over the existing
cladding, and screw new siding or vinyl through the foam to the
wood behind it, but you'd have to re-do the trim around the
windows and doors.

THe most you're likely to get out of adding 1" of insulation
is around R7 or so. Your existing wall is probably around
R3, so the change would reduce your heat-loss/gain through the
walls by at best 70%, ignoring air-leaks and windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

foam on the outside, new studs and wall inside, or blown in to the
small areas you have now.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

peterc wrote:
[...]

Want to build a new house in my back garden NickW UK diy 191 June 8th 04 08:43 PM
Fixing UPVC Cladding andy UK diy 5 September 14th 03 09:40 PM
Wooden cladding for bathtub? Sammy Home Repair 3 September 6th 03 08:50 PM