Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Insulating a cavity on an overhang

Phat Phuq wrote:

I had considered blown insulation, however, I suspect the floor above the
overhang doesn't have much of a vapor barrier above it and I need something
that would not only insulate but serve as a vapor barrier.
You might be thinking, "well just use a piece of styrospan along the floor,"
but I have doubts that I could get a 2 foot piece to fit between the joists
and seal it properly.

I'm still thinking expanding foam and doing the job in stages to minimize
any adverse expansion effects.

Any suggestions for diy products/vendors?

If you want a bulk DIY foam thing, I recall a plastics vendor I used to
deal with carried something called a "froth pak" that was basically two
small tanks (like freon or consumer helium comes in) and a hose and
mixer gun assembly. The folks on Mythbusters seems to use the same
product from time to time. Presumably some net searching should find
better references to the stuff.

Pete C.