Posted to alt.home.repair

Default doorbell options with wireless

Hello out there,
We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something
more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to
avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible?
thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Sep 2006 08:45:35 -0700, "moll"
wrote:

Hello out there,
We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something
more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to
avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible?
thanks,

Drill a hole in the underside of the porch roof,
and run a 1/2" woven nylon rope up to an 18"
school-bell on the upstairs deck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The doorbell in my grandmother's house -- c 1910, had a mechanical
doorbell on the front door. A key-like handle to be turned, and the
bell was inside. Like a large bicycle bell. No wires. We caught hell as
little kids when visiting when we rang the bell. They didn't get
electricity in that part of Kansas until around 1920, if I recall
correctly. Thus, I would say that that is authentic for the period. A
Google search should turn up such a device. How about that Restorations
outfit???

Posted to alt.home.repair

moll wrote:
Hello out there,
We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something
more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to
avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible?
thanks,

It would be easy enough for any semi-competent electron pusher to remove
the guts from a wireless doorbell button and install it into any
suitably elderly doorbell button housing that is large enough. My
wireless buttons have an amazingly small amount of actual working parts
in them. In some cases just drilling /chiseling a suitably-sized hole
behind the antique escutcheon to accommodate the wireless guts would be
the easiest way to go with the wired switch attached in parallel or
replacing the wireless switch.

Some neat old-looking doorbell stuff he
http://www.vandykes.com/search.php?q=doorbell some of it being of the
mechanical ringer variety.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

moll wrote:
Hello out there,
We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something
more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to
avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible?
thanks

I'll resist the temptation to ask you if you like big knockers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"moll" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello out there,
We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something
more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to
avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible?
thanks,

I doubt your house has aluminum siding on it, but if so, aluminum really
reduces the range of those things.

Personally, I like the wired jobs. No batteries to replace and they always
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

doorbells are extremely simple electronic circuits and can be done
using batteries if you feel thats easier than connecting to line
voltage.

its a extremely simple and good strarter DIY project.

works better than wireless too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in
oups.com:

moll wrote:
Hello out there,
We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something
more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to
avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible?
thanks

I'll resist the temptation to ask you if you like big knockers.

LMAO!

I love big knockers!. It's my weakness. Nothing like getting your hands
wrapped around one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

moll wrote:
Hello out there,
We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something
more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to
avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible?
thanks,

I recommend wired. I just removed my wireless doorbell
and went back to a wired system. I have had a wireless
door bell for several years and got tired of having to
fight to find a frequency that somebody else doesn't
move in on. Unless you can find an up scale wireless
that will not pick up interference from the neighbors
bite the bullet and go wired.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 8 Sep 2006 09:03:45 -0700, "professorpaul"
wrote:

The doorbell in my grandmother's house -- c 1910, had a mechanical
doorbell on the front door. A key-like handle to be turned, and the
bell was inside. Like a large bicycle bell. No wires. We caught hell as
little kids when visiting when we rang the bell. They didn't get
electricity in that part of Kansas until around 1920, if I recall
correctly.

"Who turned on the lights in the country, for a better live to be?
Yes, R E M C brought the lights for a better life to be."

I suppose rural Indiana got electricity about the same time as Kansas,
1920?, but they were still playing the longer version of this song on
the radio, frequently, when I go there in 1957.

Thus, I would say that that is authentic for the period. A
Google search should turn up such a device. How about that Restorations
outfit???

Only problem would be the size of the building and if they will hear
it from everywhere they want to hear it. It's pretty loud, but I was
never inside listening when I turned one, and no

Is the OP saying he can't run two wires from behind a normal sized
doorbell button to the basement?