Senior Member

Question Faulty Ball Valve?

Hello,

The water from our water tank in the loft keeps overflowing out of the overflow pipe.

We recently replaced the ball valve and I checked the level at which it shuts off the water however, the water has started to overflow again?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faulty Ball Valve?

M.Joshi wrote:

Hello,

The water from our water tank in the loft keeps overflowing out of the
overflow pipe.

Might also post to this group:

UK.D-I-Y

Posted to alt.home.repair

"M.Joshi" wrote in message

Hello,

The water from our water tank in the loft keeps overflowing out of the
overflow pipe.

We recently replaced the ball valve and I checked the level at which it
shuts off the water however, the water has started to overflow again?

Water pressure too high?

Posted to alt.home.repair

M.Joshi wrote:
Hello,

The water from our water tank in the loft keeps overflowing out of the
overflow pipe.

We recently replaced the ball valve and I checked the level at which it
shuts off the water however, the water has started to overflow again?

Must be British. The valve in a tank is not a
ball valve. Presume you mean that a ball shaped
float is hooked to the valve (probably by means of
a solid rod). For that type of system you simply
bend the rod between the valve and the float so
that the water level turns off about 1/8-1/4 inch
below the top of the overflow. You need to bend
the rod down so that the valve closes at a lower
water depth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:
M.Joshi wrote:
Hello,

The water from our water tank in the loft keeps overflowing out of the
overflow pipe.

We recently replaced the ball valve and I checked the level at which it
shuts off the water however, the water has started to overflow again?

Must be British. The valve in a tank is not a ball valve. Presume you
mean that a ball shaped float is hooked to the valve (probably by means
of a solid rod). For that type of system you simply bend the rod between
the valve and the float so that the water level turns off about 1/8-1/4
inch below the top of the overflow. You need to bend the rod down so
that the valve closes at a lower water depth.

Forgot to mention that you should check for free
movement of the ball float. Any interference and
you will be unable to get a consistent water level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
M.Joshi

This is the valve that feeds the tank? If so, that shouldn't have
anything to do with an overflow I would think. If the water is coming out
of the PRV (Pressure Release Valve) than either it's failing or your water
pressure is too high for it. Sounds like either way, the PRV needs to be
replaced you just have to figure out why.
Cheers,
cc

No. This is not a hot water tank or anything of that sort. It is an
accumulator tank (think cistern) which is found commonly in the attics
of older homes in the UK. The valve in question is probably much like
the float valve in the tank of a WC and regulates how full the tank is
refilled.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]