Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with septic system

Hi, I'm new to this group and do not know if this has been posted
before. We've been living in this house now for 5 months. It has a
septic system which I'm not familar with with at all (I've never owned
a house with a septic system). Well now water is starting to come out
of the ground in the back yard. I'm sure this is the field area. Well I
know this is related to the septic system as there is a foul stench
eminating from it. My wife found out that septic system need to be
pumped regularly. The prolem is we don't know how to pump the system. I
mean I think I know where it needs to be pumped at, but I don't know if
I use a plunger or what. Anyway thanks in advance for the advice.

Gratefully, Chris~

Posted to alt.home.repair

crt2000 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this group and do not know if this has been posted
before. We've been living in this house now for 5 months. It has a
septic system which I'm not familar with with at all (I've never owned
a house with a septic system). Well now water is starting to come out
of the ground in the back yard. I'm sure this is the field area. Well I
know this is related to the septic system as there is a foul stench
eminating from it. My wife found out that septic system need to be
pumped regularly. The prolem is we don't know how to pump the system. I
mean I think I know where it needs to be pumped at, but I don't know if
I use a plunger or what. Anyway thanks in advance for the advice.

Gratefully, Chris~

Hi,
Trolling? Or ask around your neighbors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, I'm new to this group and do not know if this has been posted
before.

Everything has been posted before. Carry on.

We've been living in this house now for 5 months. It has a
septic system which I'm not familar with with at all (I've never
owned a house with a septic system). Well now water is starting to
come out of the ground in the back yard.

That's bad, fer sure.

I'm sure this is the
field area. Well I know this is related to the septic system as
there is a foul stench eminating from it.

Sounds clearly like a septic system problem.

My wife found out that
septic system need to be pumped regularly.

Every two years. That's routine maintenance, not a quick fix,
probably.

The prolem is we don't know how to pump the system.

No problem. YOU don't pump the system. You pay $150 or so and some
company with a special truck does it for you.

I mean I think I know where it needs
to be pumped at, but I don't know if I use a plunger or what.

Truck. Pay.

Anyway thanks in advance for the advice.

The pumping people will do a quick fix, but if your "leach field" is
clogged, you are looking at major money to fix this. You need
professional help to analyze and fix this. You need to study how
septic systems work, and what it means when everything comes up in
the back yard. This is not something that can be fixed with a quick
tip on a usenet talk room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi again, Thanks for responding so fast. Well we were trying to avouid
spending any large amount of money on this, although if that is the
case it will probably have to be done. as far as us asking neighbors,
that's a good idea although we live in a rural area where people just
basicly keep to themselves. I thought I would ask you guys and gals.
Mabye this has been posted before and i did check, however with no
solid answers to my problem. Thanks again, Chris~

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mabye this has been posted before and i did check, however with no
solid answers to my problem. Thanks again, Chris~

Solid answer: call the pumper truck, pay the man ~ $100 (assuming you
have an accessible clean-out), fogedaboutit, unless it happens soon
(less than 6 months), then call him back & make sure he pumps both
tanks. I had that when we first moved in, (my first septic system)
turns out there was a blockage between the tanks. considerable digging
involved that time, which we did ourselves to avoid the labor charges,
and because we just happen to have a backhoe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"crt2000" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi again, Thanks for responding so fast. Well we were trying to avouid
spending any large amount of money on this, although if that is the
case it will probably have to be done.

You can spend a chunk now, or pay a H U G E chunk later. Call for the Honey
Dew truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "crt2000" wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this group and do not know if this has been posted
before. We've been living in this house now for 5 months. It has a
septic system which I'm not familar with with at all (I've never owned
a house with a septic system). Well now water is starting to come out
of the ground in the back yard. I'm sure this is the field area. Well I
know this is related to the septic system as there is a foul stench
eminating from it. My wife found out that septic system need to be
pumped regularly. The prolem is we don't know how to pump the system. I
mean I think I know where it needs to be pumped at, but I don't know if
I use a plunger or what. Anyway thanks in advance for the advice.

"Pumped" means "pumped *out*". As in, pumping 500 gallons of s**t out of the
tank. Where you gonna put that?

You don't do it. You hire a septic tank cleaning company to do it. They have a
pump and a tanker truck to haul it away. Look in the Yellow Pages under
"Septic Service" or something similar, or ask your neighbors to recommend a
company. Cost likely to be between US$100 and $150.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

check with the local septic sewer companies, find out if they have been
out before you bought home?

original owners MAY have tried to hide a existing prroblem requiring
septic replacement

that can cost up to 20 grand depending on where you live

you need a pro opinion..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

"crt2000" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I'm new to this group and do not know if this has been posted
before. We've been living in this house now for 5 months. It has a
septic system which I'm not familar with with at all (I've never owned
a house with a septic system). Well now water is starting to come out
of the ground in the back yard. I'm sure this is the field area. Well I
know this is related to the septic system as there is a foul stench
eminating from it. My wife found out that septic system need to be
pumped regularly. The prolem is we don't know how to pump the system. I
mean I think I know where it needs to be pumped at, but I don't know if
I use a plunger or what. Anyway thanks in advance for the advice.

Gratefully, Chris~

The water wouldn't have a foul stench, its just dirty water by the time it
gets to the leach field.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Doug Miller wrote:

"Pumped" means "pumped *out*". As in, pumping 500 gallons of s**t out of the
tank. Where you gonna put that?

Mine's 1000 gallons. That'd be a BIG pile of sh*t!

You don't do it. You hire a septic tank cleaning company to do it. They have a
pump and a tanker truck to haul it away. Look in the Yellow Pages under
"Septic Service" or something similar, or ask your neighbors to recommend a
company. Cost likely to be between US$100 and $150.

If the problem is a full tank. But if it's a clogged field, the price
could be 10x that amount.

BTW, the tanker truck is referred to as a "sh*t sucker" around here.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote

Cost likely to be between US$100 and $150.

Bob

To have my SMALL tank pumped at a not so remote cabin cost me $350 this
summer.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Steve B wrote:
"Bob" wrote

Cost likely to be between US$100 and $150.

Bob

To have my SMALL tank pumped at a not so remote cabin cost me $350 this
summer.

Steve

Gulp! Mine was $120. But for 10 years usage it had relatively little
sludge in it. Maybe it's charged by the amount of time they have to
spend cleaning it out.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Eigenvector wrote:

The water wouldn't have a foul stench, its just dirty water by the time it
gets to the leach field.

Depending on the system in use. With the older style systems, it's
still pretty nasty stuff and has a strong odor if exposed to the air.
After it leaves the field lines the soil bacteria breaks it down to
different stages of cleanliness. In the newer style systems it has
been clorinated by the time it reaches the fields and is mostly
odorless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

"Pumped" means "pumped *out*". As in, pumping 500 gallons of s**t out of the
tank.

500?? That's mighty small. 1500 is code around here.

Just had mine pumped out after living here for 5 years. From what I
could tell by looking down in there, it could easily have gone another
5 years no problem. Only about 18" of sludge on the bottom, and maybe
8" of scum floating on top. The rest was liquid, just the way you want
it to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

The water wouldn't have a foul stench, its just dirty water by the time it
gets to the leach field.

Only if everything is working properly. If the system is clogged, those
turds are moving right along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
"crt2000" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi, I'm new to this group and do not know if this has been posted
before. We've been living in this house now for 5 months. It has a
septic system which I'm not familar with with at all (I've never owned
a house with a septic system). Well now water is starting to come out
of the ground in the back yard. I'm sure this is the field area. Well I
know this is related to the septic system as there is a foul stench
eminating from it. My wife found out that septic system need to be
pumped regularly. The prolem is we don't know how to pump the system. I
mean I think I know where it needs to be pumped at, but I don't know if
I use a plunger or what. Anyway thanks in advance for the advice.

Gratefully, Chris~

The water wouldn't have a foul stench, its just dirty water by the time it
gets to the leach field.

I beg to differ. When the tank becomes so full that solids are
discharged into the fields, it will stink. My neighbor's field stunk to
high heaven before he had it cleaned.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Figure out what your land grant university is (Cornell is New York's,
NC State is for North Carolina, etc.). Look up their state etension
service. They will have lots of info on how to deal with a septic
system. Call them if you can't find the answer on their web site --
that is (part of) their job. Cornell's extension website has decent
septic info.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

"Pumped" means "pumped *out*". As in, pumping 500 gallons of s**t out of the
tank. Where you gonna put that?

Mine's 1000 gallons. That'd be a BIG pile of sh*t!

You don't do it. You hire a septic tank cleaning company to do it. They have a
pump and a tanker truck to haul it away. Look in the Yellow Pages under
"Septic Service" or something similar, or ask your neighbors to recommend a
company. Cost likely to be between US$100 and $150.

If the problem is a full tank. But if it's a clogged field, the price
could be 10x that amount.

10x? Could be 50x to dig up and replace the leach field.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

The water wouldn't have a foul stench, its just dirty water by the time it
gets to the leach field.

The main task of the septic tank is to physically separate the incoming
waste into 3 layers: scum (floating on top, consisting mostly of soap,
grease, and hair), solids (settled to the bottom), and liquid (in the
middle). The tank has baffles so that, when working properly, only
the liquid portion in the middle can exit exit the tank and enter the
leach field. The liquid entering the leach field is NOT clean; if it
finds its way to the surface because the leach field is clogged, it
will stink. When the leach field is working properly, the liquid
sinks into the soil, and is acted on by various microorganisms in the
soil to clean it.

If the OP has septic waste finding its way to the surface in his leach
field, he's very likely not going to fix things by just having the tank
pumped out. It's too late. The leach field has already failed.

In his original post, the OP stated he's been living in the house for 5
months. He did not state whether he bought the house 5 months ago. In
many states, it is required by law that the septic system be inspected
and pumped before a sale can take place.

The OP also seemed to be completely unfamiliar with living in a home
with a septic system. Perhaps he's flushing wet-wipes down the toilet
and dumping paint and other inappropriate materials down the sink.
Maybe he installed a food disposal in the kitchen sink. Maybe he
installed a water softener and is running the discharge water to the
septic tank.

Once the leach field is damaged, the cost of repair can be several
thousand dollars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Sep 2006 07:38:50 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

If the OP has septic waste finding its way to the surface in his leach
field, he's very likely not going to fix things by just having the tank
pumped out. It's too late. The leach field has already failed.

Unless the problem is just that he's somehow introduced too much
water into the system. If he's overwhelmed the leachfield with
plain old water, then reducing the volume of the input may well
fix it.