keni

Default Forced air system fan problem

Hope this isn't too dumb of a question. We have a forced air system and
whenever it's on and hot air is blowing, a fan inside a container that's
mounted on the side of a duct begins to spin. The problem is it's making a
very loud kind of rattling noise as if something is loose. It's never
sounded like that in the 7 years we've lived here until now. It stops
spinning when the forced air stops, so it's not a problem of getting to shut
on or off, just that I'm not sure why it's so loud now.

I feel silly as I'm not even sure exactly what this unit's function is
(assuming it's for cooling?), but it seems to only go on when the thermostat
is set a little high. It's also connected to a switch (set to on) that's
mounted on the side of the furnace. This is a different switch from the main
power for the furnace system. I don't know much about these systems, but I'm
assuming this is different from the 'blower' in the furnace chamber.

Can someone please explain this to me? What could be wrong with the unit?

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

keni wrote:
[...]

I can think of three things it may be.

* Most current furnaces use a power vent to exhaust the combustion
gases outside. If it is getting louder, it may need service soon. Have
this one checked at once as it may leave you without heat if it goes out.

* It may be part of a humidifier. It may need service especially if it
has not been serviced during the last 7 years.

* Some one may have added a booster fan to help get more air to a cold
room. If it is getting louder then it needs to be serviced or removed.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bubba

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:52:56 GMT, "keni"
wrote:

[...]

Seven years and you've never had a professional look at your system?
Terrible, just terrible.
Do you have your car serviced every 7 years too?
Bubba
Mikepier

keni wrote:
[...]

It's sounds like it's the inducer fan, it's helps to blow the exhaust
out the vent into the chimney. Like any motor, over time the bearings
get worn and needs replacing. The inducer fan only comes on when the
t-stat calls for heat.

TURTLE

wrote:

[...]

This is Turtle.

As My Good Friend Jim Carry would say I have my furnace and car serviced every
20 years wiether it needs it or not.

TURTLE

Forced into an aerobic septic system Michelle Home Ownership 4 November 13th 04 02:44 AM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Forced Hot Water Heating System: What Temp Limits,, And What Should Pressure Be At Limits ? m Ransley Home Repair 1 September 21st 04 10:17 PM
New system nightmare Victoria UK diy 18 December 23rd 03 12:30 PM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM