Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Custom scotia: router or tablesaw?

I need to make a piece of custom scotia molding for under the treads
of our staircase.

I need to match existing trim that is 100+ years old and I have not
been able to find the size in the store.

The dimensions a 3/4 x 1/2"
The lip dimensions are 1/3" on the 1/2" side and 1/8" on the 3/4" side
(these dimensions are different from what I have seen on modern Scotias)

- What is the best way to fabricate and replicate the molding myself?

- If I use a router, what type of bit should I use? cove??
If so, what size.

- Other people have suggested using a tablesaw with the wood at angle to
the blade. If so, how do you decide what angle to use?

Finally what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I need to make a piece of custom scotia molding for under the treads
of our staircase.

I need to match existing trim that is 100+ years old and I have not
been able to find the size in the store.

The dimensions a 3/4 x 1/2"
The lip dimensions are 1/3" on the 1/2" side and 1/8" on the 3/4" side
(these dimensions are different from what I have seen on modern Scotias)

- What is the best way to fabricate and replicate the molding myself?

- If I use a router, what type of bit should I use? cove??
If so, what size.

- Other people have suggested using a tablesaw with the wood at angle to
the blade. If so, how do you decide what angle to use?

Finally what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?

I don't think a TS can make the cut you need. That method is more for
larger coves like on crown molding.
http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/CoveMouldingTip.htm

To do this with a router you will need a router table and probably a
fence, the bit will depend on the shape you need. You may also need to
use wedges depending on the angle needed.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/doo...estoration.htm

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...g_Profile.html

Try rec.woodworking, the pros there can either tell you how to do it or
where to buy it. It would be helpful if you could post a picture of
the profile you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

blueman wrote:
[...]

Or use a molding attachment for the TS :
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...e%20saw&tab=wi

The blank profiles could be grinded to match scotia if a standard profile
could not be found.