Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Custom scotia: router or tablesaw?

I need to make a piece of custom scotia molding for under the treads
of our staircase.

I need to match existing trim that is 100+ years old and I have not
been able to find the size in the store.

The dimensions a 3/4 x 1/2"
The lip dimensions are 1/3" on the 1/2" side and 1/8" on the 3/4" side
(these dimensions are different from what I have seen on modern Scotias)

- What is the best way to fabricate and replicate the molding myself?

- If I use a router, what type of bit should I use? cove??
If so, what size.

- Other people have suggested using a tablesaw with the wood at angle to
the blade. If so, how do you decide what angle to use?

Finally what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?