Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool cloths washer will not pump out

The washer will spin but not pump out. The pump is the direct drive
type (only a few years old) and I took it off and it is not the
problem. The drive to the pump is free (not frozen) so it must be
electrical? Is there a clutch between the motor and the direct drive,
or what?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any chance that it ate a sock?? Kinked drain hose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
Any chance that it ate a sock?? Kinked drain hose?

No I don't think so. Drain hose is clear. Inlet to "in Hose" of pump is
clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote:
professorpaul wrote:
Any chance that it ate a sock?? Kinked drain hose?

No I don't think so. Drain hose is clear. Inlet to "in Hose" of pump is
clear.

Looking at the Whirpool parts list and pics for LSQ8520JQ1, I can not
see why the water is not being pumped out "continusously". 1) pump is
direct drive (I guess it runs all the time) 2) no valves in inlet or
outlet to pump! What am I missing?

The only thing I see different in the pics is that the shaft for the
pump looks like it is attached to the pump. When I took the pump off
the shaft stayed in the motor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

p4o2 wrote:
p4o2 wrote:
professorpaul wrote:
Any chance that it ate a sock?? Kinked drain hose?

No I don't think so. Drain hose is clear. Inlet to "in Hose" of pump is
clear.

Looking at the Whirpool parts list and pics for LSQ8520JQ1, I can not
see why the water is not being pumped out "continusously". 1) pump is
direct drive (I guess it runs all the time) 2) no valves in inlet or
outlet to pump! What am I missing?

The only thing I see different in the pics is that the shaft for the
pump looks like it is attached to the pump. When I took the pump off
the shaft stayed in the motor?

NEVER MIND, NEVER MIND, NEVER MIND

Took the pump off again. Shaft does stay in mortor. It is apparent NOW,
that the "mortor" is two motors. One to spin, and one to pump the water
out (in the same housing) My pump motor is shot or the control is not
working from the timer.

Time for a new washer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is just plain silly. A WP direct drive washer has only one motor
with two shafts. If it is spinning but not draining in the spin cycle,
then it has to be something going on with the pump or the hoses that
are connected to it. I'll give you a simple fix

1. Empty the water out.
2. Remove both hoses to the pump. Did a sock or something appear?
Remove it.
3. Blow through each hose. Clear? Then it isn't the hoses.
4. Replace the pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A Whirlpool direct drive washer, also under the Kenmore name, has only
one motor, and there is only one shaft that extends all the way through
the motor. It protrudes on one side for the gearcase, and the other
side for the pump. They are not independent. If you are getting motor
action for agitate or spin, then you know the motor works. In spin,
motor action should run the pump in the direction of drain. If it
doesn't drain, you know that there is something blocking it, either in
the hose to the pump, the pump itself, or the exit hose.