Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting rid of bat in house

I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central
stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

put some goggles on and get a broom...
open a few windows and doors, and have fun..
chase him out

stay relaxed

tenplay wrote:
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central
stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central
stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

We used to use a tennis racket.
Minimum lighting; hold racket edge on; as bat swoops, present racket
full face.
Carry bat clinging to racket outside and toss the beast into the air.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wait till the dark of night..open the nearest door.. turn on light
outside.. or put light on lawn .. shut all lights off in house..
get him to fly..he will fly out side... bat gone!

"tenplay" wrote in message
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central stairwell.
I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tenplay" wrote in message
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central stairwell.
I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

If you can easily get to him, put on a glove and just pick it up and carry
it out.

When I had a bat, it was flying back and forth in my hallway at 2:00 AM. I
ended up swatting it with a pot lid to knock him down, then took it outside.
It was quite a sight, my wife said, watching me swat at it with the lid. I
had two doors open, but he never headed to either of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central
stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

Shine the bat symbol into the night sky. Someone will come to your aid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

herlihyboy wrote:
tenplay wrote:
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central
stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

Shine the bat symbol into the night sky. Someone will come to your aid.

can bats SEE???

I thought they were blind and used sound radar?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

can bats SEE???

I thought they were blind and used sound radar?

Mark

they can only see the bat symbol, that, and bat pussy

those two things they can see

Posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central
stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

Are SURE it's a bat? Recently my bank had one. They called the building
bat-removal technician. Before the janitor arrived, though, the whole thing
turned out to be a false alarm; the "bat" was a bank vice president.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All joking aside..bats carry rabies..not good if you are bitten.

The outside light draws insects, bats like insects, don't know
if they see them, smell them, or find them with their radar, but it
works!

"tenplay" wrote in message
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central stairwell.
I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy & Carol wrote:
All joking aside..bats carry rabies..not good if you are bitten.

The outside light draws insects, bats like insects, don't know
if they see them, smell them, or find them with their radar, but it
works!

you've heard the expression blind as a bat

bats are completely blind

they use sonar

or is it radar

hmmm, not sure...

they use radar, we used to throw rocks up in the air and watch the bats
chase the rocks to the ground

one time, I threw the rock up and it came down and went through the
back glass of my moms chevy malibu... just a small hole... I thought
she might not even notice it for a while.

but then little cracks started spreading throughout the glass...
in 2 mins, the whole back glass was a milky web of cracks...

ooops

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, bats CAN see. They use echolocation to supplement their
vision in the dark.

http://www.bats.org.uk/helpline/help..._detectors.asp

Jo Ann

sosexyithurts wrote:
Andy & Carol wrote:
All joking aside..bats carry rabies..not good if you are bitten.

The outside light draws insects, bats like insects, don't know
if they see them, smell them, or find them with their radar, but it
works!

you've heard the expression blind as a bat

bats are completely blind

they use sonar

or is it radar

hmmm, not sure...

they use radar, we used to throw rocks up in the air and watch the bats
chase the rocks to the ground

one time, I threw the rock up and it came down and went through the
back glass of my moms chevy malibu... just a small hole... I thought
she might not even notice it for a while.

but then little cracks started spreading throughout the glass...
in 2 mins, the whole back glass was a milky web of cracks...

ooops

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Andy & Carol wrote:
All joking aside..bats carry rabies..not good if you are bitten.

Seriously true.

" In many cases, victims are not even aware of having been bitten by a
bat, assuming that a small puncture wound found after the fact was the
bite of an insect or spider; in some cases, no wound at all can be
found, leading to the hypothesis that in some cases the virus can be
contracted via inhaling airborne aerosols from the vicinity of a bat or
bats. For instance, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
warned on May 9, 1997, that a woman who died in October, 1996 in
Cumberland County, Kentucky and a man who died in December, 1996 in
Missoula County, Montana were both infected with a rabies strain found
in silver-haired bats; although bats were found living in the chimney
of the woman's home and near the man's place of employment, neither
victim could remember having had any contact with them. This inability
to recognize a potential infection, in contrast to a bite from a dog or
raccoon, leads to a lack of proper prophylactic treatment, and is the
cause of the high mortality rate for bat bites."
(This is from Wikipedia and therefore suspect, but I'm the guy who
wrote it and I promise you I researched it and that's what CDC said.)
also
"On May 12, 2006 Harris County Health Department officials reported
that a teenage boy, Zach Jones, in Houston, Texas had died of rabies
after a bat flew in his bedroom while he took a nap and somehow brushed
itself upon the boy's skin, allowing Jones to feel it as he woke up. He
died at Texas Children's Hospital after an attempt to cure the disease
through a drug-induced coma, similar to that of Jeanna Giese."
but I didn't write that so I can't vouch for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting rid of bat in house - resolution

tenplay wrote:
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central
stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Haven't seen the bat since that
evening. Guess all it wanted was some attention from alt.home.repair.
I suppose it went out of the house the same way it got in. We just had
some siding replaced on the exterior of the house last week. I wonder
if the repair opened up a gap through which the bat could enter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
ups.com:

Actually, bats CAN see. They use echolocation to supplement their
vision in the dark.

http://www.bats.org.uk/helpline/help...on_bat_detecto
rs.asp

Jo Ann

sosexyithurts wrote:
Andy & Carol wrote:
All joking aside..bats carry rabies..not good if you are bitten.

The outside light draws insects, bats like insects, don't know
if they see them, smell them, or find them with their radar, but it
works!

you've heard the expression blind as a bat

bats are completely blind

they use sonar

or is it radar

hmmm, not sure...

they use radar, we used to throw rocks up in the air and watch the
bats chase the rocks to the ground

one time, I threw the rock up and it came down and went through the
back glass of my moms chevy malibu... just a small hole... I thought
she might not even notice it for a while.

but then little cracks started spreading throughout the glass...
in 2 mins, the whole back glass was a milky web of cracks...

ooops

I can read minds. I use torture and drugs to supplement this:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Naw...He is there, probably lurking behind the drapes, waiting
for your wife put her hand behind them, then he flies out
and scares the hell out of her!

"tenplay" wrote in message
I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently
hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central stairwell.
I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Been there, had that happen! My most startling bat encounter was right
after I moved last year. Late in the evening, I unpacked a box of
iced-tea glasses that needed to be washed before putting them away. I
decided to set them aside for washing the next morning.

Next day, I noticed from across the room that one of the glasses in the
lineup had something brown in the bottom. Thinking it must be a
wadded-up piece of packing paper, I started to reach in, and abruptly
realized there was a nose-down bat in the glass.

The bat was dead, and to this day I am still wondering what it was
doing in that glass. Did it perch on the edge, die, and fall in? Die
in the air and randomly tumble in? Fly in nose-first and die because
it couldn't get back out? In retrospect, I probably should have taken
it to the health department (bat rabies has been confirmed in my
county, as in most counties in my state), but at the time I just put
it in the garbage can.

Jo Ann