Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint Won't Dry

Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface. Can anyone
recommend this or have another approach? The paint will
ultimately be up against clothing.

Regards...Bob

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Photon713 wrote:

Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface. Can anyone
recommend this or have another approach? The paint will
ultimately be up against clothing.

Regards...Bob

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1

Contact the paint manufacturer. Certainly putting a coat of a
potentially incompatible product on top of a product that is already
known to have a problem is only asking for more trouble.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Photon713" wrote in message
Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface.

Do not do that. My only suggestion is to start from scratch. I don't know
what went wrong, but I do know it will be extremely difficult to figure out.
You're just asking for more headaches. Scrap it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:
"Photon713" wrote in message
Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface.

Do not do that. My only suggestion is to start from scratch. I don't know
what went wrong, but I do know it will be extremely difficult to figure out.
You're just asking for more headaches. Scrap it.

I agree. Adding another coat of almost anything on top of a non-dry
coat will only make things worse. Was the paint you used quite old?
I would try to scrape the tacky paint off if possible - see if mineral
spirits softens it, or maybe acetone? What is the solvent recommended
for cleanup? Anyway, when you start from scratch, I'd try newer paint,
a different brand of paint, or paint thinned somewhat with mineral
spirits (or appropriate solvent).
Sorry and good luck,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your paint is defective likely the driers are missing, best is remove it
if it wont dry in a warm dry environment.