DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint Won't Dry (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/174259-paint-wont-dry.html)

Photon713 August 30th 06 03:17 AM

Paint Won't Dry

Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface. Can anyone
recommend this or have another approach? The paint will
ultimately be up against clothing.

Regards...Bob

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1

Pete C. August 30th 06 04:04 AM

Paint Won't Dry

Photon713 wrote:

Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface. Can anyone
recommend this or have another approach? The paint will
ultimately be up against clothing.

Regards...Bob

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1

Contact the paint manufacturer. Certainly putting a coat of a
potentially incompatible product on top of a product that is already
known to have a problem is only asking for more trouble.

Pete C.

jeffc August 30th 06 03:11 PM

Paint Won't Dry

"Photon713" wrote in message
Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface.

Do not do that. My only suggestion is to start from scratch. I don't know
what went wrong, but I do know it will be extremely difficult to figure out.
You're just asking for more headaches. Scrap it.

[email protected] August 31st 06 07:49 AM

Paint Won't Dry

jeffc wrote:
"Photon713" wrote in message
Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for
plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to
the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the
paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface.

Do not do that. My only suggestion is to start from scratch. I don't know
what went wrong, but I do know it will be extremely difficult to figure out.
You're just asking for more headaches. Scrap it.

I agree. Adding another coat of almost anything on top of a non-dry
coat will only make things worse. Was the paint you used quite old?
I would try to scrape the tacky paint off if possible - see if mineral
spirits softens it, or maybe acetone? What is the solvent recommended
for cleanup? Anyway, when you start from scratch, I'd try newer paint,
a different brand of paint, or paint thinned somewhat with mineral
spirits (or appropriate solvent).
Sorry and good luck,
Andy

m Ransley August 31st 06 02:13 PM

Paint Won't Dry

Your paint is defective likely the driers are missing, best is remove it
if it wont dry in a warm dry environment.