Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is it safe to continue a 30amp wire from the existing outlet * ( for dryer )

is it safe to continue a 30amp wire from the existing outlet * ( for
dryer )

i just moved my dryer/washer to a separate room. So , what I did was
puchased a 20 ft. long 30amp wire and ran it from the existing outlet
to the new location.

Is it a safe thing to do? or should I run a whole new wire from the
panel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

failedaircare-man wrote:

Is it a safe thing to do? or should I run a whole new wire from the
panel?

it's a tic for a tac, you goin still need as much wire

Posted to alt.home.repair

failedaircare-man wrote:
is it safe to continue a 30amp wire from the existing outlet * ( for
dryer )

i just moved my dryer/washer to a separate room. So , what I did was
puchased a 20 ft. long 30amp wire and ran it from the existing outlet
to the new location.

Is it a safe thing to do? or should I run a whole new wire from the
panel?

If you are talking about an extension cord, I would vote against that.
I believe it may be a code violation as well and if so could compromise your
home fire insurance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

If you are talking about an extension cord, I would vote against that.
I believe it may be a code violation as well and if so could compromise your
home fire insurance.

oh yeah, codes!

you can use a receptacle to connect two wires, but the extension chord
is technically an exposed wire, exposed wiring is a code breaker

he might also consider moving the existing receptacle to the laundry
but if he uses the old receptacle line, he would need a junction box to
tie into the old wire.

but as would be par for most things... it's probably easier to run a
new line
like you say, wouldn't want to compromise his insurance..

but far as the dryer goes.. im sure the ext chord is a viable safe
solution
he could just bury the ext chord with channel conduit

First Class Jerri- Rigging!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are talking about an extension cord, I would vote against that.
I believe it may be a code violation as well and if so could compromise
your home fire insurance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Code violation? I don't think so but again I have not keep up with the code
for years. 60A, 480V extension cords for welding are common for
industrial/shop applications. How about a 10,000A 3-phase drag line at
13.8kV - portable big ass cable for some earth moving equipment or some
such.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

# Fred # wrote:

Code violation? I don't think so but again I have not keep up with the code
for years. 60A, 480V extension cords for welding are common for
industrial/shop applications. How about a 10,000A 3-phase drag line at
13.8kV - portable big ass cable for some earth moving equipment or some
such.

All of these examples are portable applications. The OP was asking
about using an extension cord for a high current household appliance
that is not likely to be moved any appreciable distance after it is
placed into service.