Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Default Warranty Card?

I was under the impression that under the law a warranty must be honored
whether or not you've sent in the warranty card the accompanies a new
product. Is that correct? I'm in Illinois.

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
k.net...
I was under the impression that under the law a warranty must be honored
whether or not you've sent in the warranty card the accompanies a new
product. Is that correct? I'm in Illinois.

I have always assumed you are correct.
I never send them in, and have never had a problem with the warranty being
honored.

Don't actually know the law though; but you can always say you sent it in,
they can't make it contingent on their receiving it since that is out of
your hands. You did send it in, didn't you!

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is why they
knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy Lawn Mower, new in
May, for which the key start switch fell apart. Lawn Boy referred me to a
couple of dealers one of which was Uline Lawn Equipment in Chicago Heights.
They told me no dice because I hadn't returned the card. I said I thought
the law was that that was not a requirement. He (think it was the owner--
not sure) told me that he didn't care about the law and for the fact that I
would bring it up was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
ink.net...
You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is why
they
knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy Lawn Mower, new in
May, for which the key start switch fell apart. Lawn Boy referred me to a
couple of dealers one of which was Uline Lawn Equipment in Chicago
Heights.
They told me no dice because I hadn't returned the card. I said I thought
the law was that that was not a requirement. He (think it was the owner--
not sure) told me that he didn't care about the law and for the fact that
would bring it up was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

Sounds like the dealer just want to be an asshole and they don't make much
on warranty repairs. To my knowledge, the warranty has to be honored as
long as you can prove ownership and the date of purchase. Do you have the
receipt? Have you tried the store where you bought it? Far as I know, they
also have to honor the warranty no matter where in the country you may move
to.

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Call lawnboy tell them you will trash them on the net if they dont fix
it.
'
Warrany service is a loser for a dealer often it costs more to collect
than you get paid. often dealers just do it for free in the hopes of a
regular customer later........

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
ink.net...
You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is why
they
knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy Lawn Mower, new in
May, for which the key start switch fell apart. Lawn Boy referred me to a
couple of dealers one of which was Uline Lawn Equipment in Chicago
Heights.
They told me no dice because I hadn't returned the card. I said I thought
the law was that that was not a requirement. He (think it was the owner--
not sure) told me that he didn't care about the law and for the fact that
would bring it up was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

Obviously you should try one of the other suggestions; but if worst comes to
worst, complain the Lawn Boy.
I had a local dealer refuse to fix my router because I bought it on Ebay and
not from a dealer.
Bosch confirmed from the serial number that it was under warranty and agreed
to fix it. Now obviously you can't send it to Lawn Boy, but they might
ask the dealer to help you out.

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Sounds like the dealer just want to be an asshole and they don't make
much on warranty repairs. To my knowledge, the warranty has to be
honored as long as you can prove ownership and the date of purchase.
Do you have the receipt? Have you tried the store where you bought
it? Far as I know, they also have to honor the warranty no matter
where in the country you may move to.

Purchased on amazon.com although the "where did you buy it" had not yet
come up in the conversation. Have all the paperwork. I am complaining to
Lawn Boy and I have asked the State Attorney General's consumer fraud unit
for clarification on what the law is. I have a feel I'm right but that may
be binding on the manufacturer not the individual dealership. But if the
manufacturer defers to dealers then constructively it's a refusal to honor
the warranty. In my non lawyerly opinion.
Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:

I was under the impression that under the law a warranty must be honored
whether or not you've sent in the warranty card the accompanies a new
product. Is that correct? I'm in Illinois.

steve
i don't know the answer to your question.

NOW...am i a great ****ing lawyer or WHAT

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is
why they knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy
Lawn Mower, new in May, for which the key start switch fell apart.
Lawn Boy referred me to a couple of dealers one of which was Uline
Lawn Equipment in Chicago Heights. They told me no dice because I
hadn't returned the card. I said I thought the law was that that
was not a requirement. He (think it was the owner-- not sure) told
me that he didn't care about the law and for the fact that I would
bring it up was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

1. Tell Lawn Boy that Uline refused to perform warranty service

2. Take the mower to another authorized repair shop

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
I was under the impression that under the law a warranty must be
honored whether or not you've sent in the warranty card the
accompanies a new product. Is that correct? I'm in Illinois.

Unless my memory fails me, the law was changed about 25 - 30 years ago
and eliminated any requirement to return the card. It could have been that
they just eliminated any requirement to fill out anything other than your
name address etc and nothing about all the marketing questions that usually
accompany the cards.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is
why they knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy Lawn
Mower, new in May, for which the key start switch fell apart. Lawn
Boy referred me to a couple of dealers one of which was Uline Lawn
Equipment in Chicago Heights. They told me no dice because I hadn't
returned the card. I said I thought the law was that that was not a
requirement. He (think it was the owner-- not sure) told me that he
didn't care about the law and for the fact that I would bring it up
was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

Send 'em a present. A fire-truck at 3:00 a.m. is appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 16:57:27 GMT, Steve Kraus
wrote:

You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is why they
knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy Lawn Mower, new in
May, for which the key start switch fell apart. Lawn Boy referred me to a
couple of dealers one of which was Uline Lawn Equipment in Chicago Heights.
They told me no dice because I hadn't returned the card. I said I thought
the law was that that was not a requirement. He (think it was the owner--
not sure) told me that he didn't care about the law and for the fact that I
would bring it up was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

Go to another dealer and stay away from Uline Lawn Equipment. I took
in my Toro lawn mower (both plastic wheel gears broke) and they fixed
it, no charge. I did bring in the sales receipt. Another dealer
refused to repair the mower because he said I did not buy it there, so
I told all my friends about how they refused to fix my mower under
warranty and when I went shopping for a chain saw I bought elsewhere.
Why bother with a store that refuses reasonable service or is rude?
BTW, my old LawnBoy spent more time in the repair shop than on the
lawn.
Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
I was under the impression that under the law a warranty must be honored
whether or not you've sent in the warranty card the accompanies a new
product. Is that correct? I'm in Illinois.

I used to believe that, but my research stopped that. Some states have
that requirement; a few people on line claim that Magnuson-Moss prohibits
warrantors from requiring the card but no one actually shows where, and
my own untrained perusal of M-M shows nothing of the kind. I do see some
places on line that absolutely require the warranty card be filled in
completely and returned, but at least in California that's not a legal
requirement. So who knows?

--
More abuse of eminent domain!
http://www.villagelandgrab.com/
Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Those warranty cards are just for marketing purposes. You have every right
to pursue a remedy.

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Those warranty cards are just for marketing purposes. You have every right
to pursue a remedy.

and what remedy might that be...BUCK

--
i'd really like to hear about this remedy

there is no remedy buck.
there is no remedy...cept maybe SELF HELP

--
and we both know what self-help is...
a roof-top and an

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

peteinchicago admitted:

i don't know the answer to your question.
NOW...am i a great ****ing lawyer or WHAT

Don't worry; I'll still come to you if I need help with the Mann Act.
Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:31:57 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Steve Kraus wrote:
You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is
why they knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy
Lawn Mower, new in May, for which the key start switch fell apart.
Lawn Boy referred me to a couple of dealers one of which was Uline
Lawn Equipment in Chicago Heights. They told me no dice because I
hadn't returned the card. I said I thought the law was that that
was not a requirement. He (think it was the owner-- not sure) told
me that he didn't care about the law and for the fact that I would
bring it up was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

1. Tell Lawn Boy that Uline refused to perform warranty service

I agree, and I'd say which store, and who if I knew who, or
I-think-it-was-the-owner if I knew that. but I'd wait to hear your
answer from Lawnboy about whether they insist that the warranty card
be filled out.

It's not too late to fill it out and send it in. Was there a deadline
listed for sending it in? No.

2. Take the mower to another authorized repair shop

I might do this first to see how the other guy reacts. Don't show him
the warranty card, so he won't KNOW you haven't sent it in, and see
what happens.

Next time no Lawn Boy. Buy a Lawn Man. They last longer.
Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

"peteinchicago" wrote in message
oups.com...

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Those warranty cards are just for marketing purposes. You have every
right
to pursue a remedy.

and what remedy might that be...BUCK

--
i'd really like to hear about this remedy

there is no remedy buck.

there are always those little sub-lingual tablets one can get from the
healthy-foods stores. They supposedly rememdy all kinds of things.

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

Next time no Lawn Boy. Buy a Lawn Man. They last longer.

**** man, get a Mexican.
Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

"kenji" wrote in message
In article ,
mm wrote:

Next time no Lawn Boy. Buy a Lawn Man. They last longer.

**** man, get a Mexican.

The first one may wear out but...plenty of replacments arriving daily.

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

the warranty cards do help the manufascturer contact owners when
troubles come up like fire hazards.

I too dont think the warranty cards need returned for coverage

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

Dude, are you finished hyperventilating?

Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair

1. Tell Lawn Boy that Uline refused to perform warranty service

Lawn-Boy replied (yes on a Sunday!) that proof of purchase (receipt) is the
only thing necessary to obtain warranty service. So Uline's is full of
sh|t.

2. Take the mower to another authorized repair shop

That's the plan. I was hoping they could just swap me a replacement switch
but they (other place) says I need to bring it in and have them do it so
that's what we'll have to do. Not that I couldn't just use some other
suitable switch (need not be a key switch) but this is a new mower and it
should be right.

How to tell if CF card is faulty? John Stumbles UK diy 27 April 6th 05 05:54 PM
512MB MMc card went read only state! Pekka Electronics Repair 1 February 27th 05 11:09 PM
Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
The New Ridgid power tool Warranty Leon Woodworking 0 November 3rd 03 07:27 PM