Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence advice - posts next to house

I'm getting ready to build a fence around my property. Question - how do you
go about putting posts next to a house? Do you just put it as close as you
can, or do you put it in a foot or more away and just run wood from post to
house? How is this customarily done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message

I'm getting ready to build a fence around my property. Question - how do

you
go about putting posts next to a house? Do you just put it as close as you
can, or do you put it in a foot or more away and just run wood from post

house? How is this customarily done?

Since most fences have gates, you may find the
commonest solution is a gate butted tightly
to the house and the first fence post one gate's
width from it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to build a fence around my property. Question - how do
you go about putting posts next to a house? Do you just put it as close as
you can, or do you put it in a foot or more away and just run wood from
post to house? How is this customarily done?

Since there is almost always crap that is impossible to dig next to the
foundation I have learned to stay about a foot away for wood fences and just
extend the stringers past the post and to the house.

With chain link you have to dig within 4" of the house or you won't be able
to close the gap.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:26:00 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

I'm getting ready to build a fence around my property. Question - how do you
go about putting posts next to a house? Do you just put it as close as you
can, or do you put it in a foot or more away and just run wood from post to
house? How is this customarily done?

My wood fence was put in by professionals with round 4" posts, and one
is less than an inch from the wall of the house. At the other end it
abuts a small fence put in by the builders, so it is 6 feet from the
house.

Some of my townhouse neighbors have fences. I'll look at them if you
want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
I'm getting ready to build a fence around my property. Question - how do you
go about putting posts next to a house? Do you just put it as close as you
can, or do you put it in a foot or more away and just run wood from post to
house? How is this customarily done?

You can do it either way. You probably want to leave at least a little
gap between the house and post (like an inch or two) so that it doesn't
trap moisture and you can get a paint brush in there when you paint the
house. Often you can dig a post hole right next to the house with a
hand clamshell type digger. If you have sprayed-on basement
waterproofing on the outside foundation wall you might want to stay
well away from it. If you put the last post a foot or so away from the
house you can just stub stringers from it and put a couple last pickets
out to the house. Again, not right up against it. All in all, if
there is no other reason not to, putting the post close to the house is
probably easier and better.

-- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in
:

I'm getting ready to build a fence around my property. Question - how
do you go about putting posts next to a house? Do you just put it as
close as you can, or do you put it in a foot or more away and just run
wood from post to house? How is this customarily done?

You may want to read this and it's sidebars. PT lumber and the fasteners
used for it have changed in the past couple of years.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp

Al...

q. about bridge-type loan to finance house purchase [email protected] UK diy 3 June 12th 06 12:30 PM
Help! Suggestions/advice please for installing posts for yard fence in rocky ground? Ken Moiarty Home Repair 10 May 5th 06 02:55 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Set fence posts in concrete or use Metposts? DIY Novice UK diy 6 June 3rd 04 10:26 PM
Jet TS fence query john moorhead Woodworking 8 November 15th 03 03:49 PM